Puppy poo problem/advice

DaisyBoo

Boiled rice should be ok. I am hopeful that once you get the quantity right the poo will firm up. I usually take little notice of the recommended daily amounts on the packet. The figure that I use is 1% to 1.5% of the dog's body weight e.g. an 8kg dog would need 80g to 120g. However, all dogs vary in their dietary needs and in particular puppies may need more. With some breeds, usually the large/giant ones it is very important not to over feed because of the joint problems that can occur.

You should try to regularly monitor the dog's body condition and adjust the food up or down by 10% as required. There are videos on YouTube that explain how to score body condition.

The scales that I use were bought from Argos and only cost about £7. They weigh in 1g divisions. I put a small plastic container on the scale, zero it, weigh the daily amount and put the lid on until needed.

Ok thank you he is only a little dog he is a cavalier King Charles

Will try with a little rice tonight and less food

sometines simple over feeding can cause this . Always feed a little less than the suggested amount on packaging . It's in the interest of dog food companies to suggest more than the necessary amount for feeding and this can cause loose stools.

Chappie tinned is recommended for sensitive tums by vets and worked for my pup . I use Chappie and ardent grange as a mixer . Also high protein foods can cause loose poos as well in little dogs . If you go on Pet-supermarket.co.uk you can see all the ingredients and choose the right food that suits but it may just be trial and error I'm afraid .

Edited by rubydo1

We have bought some scales and reduced his food. We have seen a great improvement already

It's a common problem over feeding and loose stools . Often people go to the vets and they say it's allergies when it's just over feeding . Not owners fault you just trust what it tells you on the packaging . Hope things continue to improve .

DaisyBoo - thank you for updating your thread. It is useful to have feedback. I hope that your puppy settles down on the new regime. Also, well done for taking the time and trouble to research canine nutrition. So many people don't bother and wind up giving poor quality food to their pets. I hope your puppy has a long, healthy and happy life.

DaisyBoo - thank you for updating your thread. It is useful to have feedback. I hope that your puppy settles down on the new regime. Also, well done for taking the time and trouble to research canine nutrition. So many people don't bother and wind up giving poor quality food to their pets. I hope your puppy has a long, healthy and happy life.

thank you for your advice it is much appreciated and has been very useful. :)

I think he will be ok now, poo's are a little soft but at least are now poo shaped!!

I only want to give him good food, that's why I looked in to it even though the breeder said royal canin was a good food, turns out its not that great. We fed our old dog on raw which seemed to do him good although I think we will stick to wainwrights with our puppy for now

thank you for your advice it is much appreciated and has been very useful. :)

I think he will be ok now, poo's are a little soft but at least are now poo shaped!!

I only want to give him good food, that's why I looked in to it even though the breeder said royal canin was a good food, turns out its not that great. We fed our old dog on raw which seemed to do him good although I think we will stick to wainwrights with our puppy for now

So glad your little ones diet has settled...I think its a case of trying the individual dogs .My yorkie has been on royal caninn since she was a pup and never had a problem.Her weight is spot on.so I will be keeping her on it.