Hackenthorpe woman sleeping rough

Saw a woman on birley spa lane tonight who was clearly sleeping rough she had a dog with her and was carrying a load of carrier bags and draging a flight case behind her, she was wearing grey tracksuit bottoms and a grey huddy with a khaki coulered jacket she did not look in good health,I have reported this to the police and I think if anyone sees this woman they should also contact the police just to inform them of her whereabouts as i think she might need some help,I think she was heading down on to shirebrook valley to sleep rough for the night

Where abouts on Birley Spa was this ? I live close by and was out late ish last night.

yet she has the luxury of a dog. Why do the worst off seem to have dogs?

what a stupid thing to say.this woman has nothing in her life except that dog.grow up

Saw a woman on birley spa lane tonight who was clearly sleeping rough she had a dog with her and was carrying a load of carrier bags and draging a flight case behind her, she was wearing grey tracksuit bottoms and a grey huddy with a khaki coulered jacket she did not look in good health,I have reported this to the police and I think if anyone sees this woman they should also contact the police just to inform them of her whereabouts as i think she might need some help,I think she was heading down on to shirebrook valley to sleep rough for the night

How do you know she was homeless?

Could she be taking her laundry to be washed at a friends or parents home?

Could she have had some disagreement with her partner and walked out for a while?

Did you ask her if she was homeless.

Ive not seen her and im out and about day and night

Could she have had some disagreement with her partner and walked out for a while?

Are you homeless?

I've got more experience than you, as you've never had pets. And yes, I can state it factually as I've seen dogs eat all kinds of rubbish, including, on occasion, dog sh*t :)

Personally, I've not seen homeless people with pedigrees, generally they have mongrels.

If a homeless person did have a pedigree, that would be compatible with that homeless person previously having a home/job and thus being able to afford said pedigree, then falling into bad circumstances and losing the home/job, but, due to caring about their dog, keeping it.

As for them being well fed, I do agree that most homeless people with dogs do seem to look after them well, but that doesn't surprise me in the slightest. I suspect that the majority of homeless people probably have a fairly low opinion of humanity in general- when people have seen the worst in humans, they often see a lot in animals, dogs in particular, as, unlike most humans, they are sincere, uncomplicated and loyal.

Imagine if you'd been less fortunate, and found yourself rejected by society, let down by social support systems, and had to live, alone, on the streets, drinking alcohol as the only way to deal with the incessant cold at night. I think then you'd much better appreciate the value of a warm loyal dog that asks nothing of you other than some affection and a few scraps of waste food.

I'm no dog lover, but this is a tremendous post.:thumbsup:

---------- Post added 08-05-2015 at 19:59 ----------

In other words you're the local noowazy geet.:P

Thats so sad. I live in that area. Ill keep an eye out for her.

Involving the police was a terrible idea though.

I only informed the police because I thought she needed help not because I thought she was a threat to anyone.For all I know she could be a missing person that some parents are trying to contact.

I made a comical response but it has been removed :loopy:

Sorry to all you other Sheffielders out there but apparently I can't share my humour with you :roll:

I only informed the police because I thought she needed help not because I thought she was a threat to anyone.For all I know she could be a missing person that some parents are trying to contact.

Unfortunately the police are not a branch of social services. All they'll probably do is move her on and harrass her. The best outcome from that is that she swears or clouts one of them and gets arrested. At least then she'll have a bed for the night.

Better to phone the salvation army or social services, though it's not a given that they will be able to help her as they are overwhelmed with social problems at the moment, and are not always able to cope with the demand. (They need all the volunteers they can get.)

Better still would be to ask her yourself if she needs help, and do your best to give it. But be aware that she may have mental health problems so it can be a risky strategy, but we are getting to the point where there is no other help than us.

Edited by Anna B

Where abouts on Birley Spa was this ? I live close by and was out late ish last night.

It wasn't late it was about 7.00pm she was at the bus stop just below the shops and not waiting for a bus,just having a rest as she was having trouble walking,didn't seem to be under the influence of anything just looked as though she had walked a marathon and as for how do I know she was living rough you would just have to see her yourself.

She's an alcoholic. She did live at the flats on Dyke Vale (don't know about now) I was going through the other week and saw her and she still looked rough.

If possible could anyone let me know, or find out if her name is Joanne?

If that is the case please pm me. Thanks

What a wonderful thread this is. People showing concern for others on a day when the party who don't give a **** about anybody but themselves got into power.