Why is there so much animosity towards cyclists in Sheffield?

Absolutely. Or shall we all just shout and swear at each other?

---------- Post added 01-05-2015 at 13:19 ----------

No she darn nearly ran me over..

She was on the cycle lane. YOU stepped out in front of HER. If she had run you over, then the likely outcome would be that she would have been knocked off as well. As it was you that was at fault, then that sounds a lot more like you darn nearly knocking her off than her darn nearly running you over. I can well see why she would be upset at someone putting her in danger through carelessness. Doesn't excuse swearing, but it might explain why someone does when shocked by the events.

It's all a bit of a storm in a teacup, though. I think it stems from your original post. It sounded like you meant that she was (correctly) using the cycle lane which she was, but that was undermined as you then appeared to blame her for what happened and then for not apologizing that she had nearly hit you. Hence all the questions to clarify where and what actually happened.

She was on the cycle lane. YOU stepped out in front of HER. If she had run you over, then the likely outcome would be that she would have been knocked off as well. As it was you that was at fault, then that sounds a lot more like you darn nearly knocking her off than her darn nearly running you over. I can well see why she would be upset at someone putting her in danger through carelessness. Doesn't excuse swearing, but it might explain why someone does when shocked by the events.

It's all a bit of a storm in a teacup, though. I think it stems from your original post. It sounded like you meant that she was (correctly) using the cycle lane which she was, but that was undermined as you then appeared to blame her for what happened and then for not apologizing that she had nearly hit you. Hence all the questions to clarify where and what actually happened.

It would be reasonable to look out for cars on a one way street. She can see me, maybe she wasnt paying attention. The point is to watch out for other road users and avoid them not abuse them.

I tried to explain but she wasnt interested..

---------- Post added 01-05-2015 at 14:31 ----------

In a car do you shout and abuse pedestrians if they try and cross the road??

From Viz Top Tips:

TOP TIP! Save time when crossing a one-way street by looking only in the direction of oncoming traffic.

From J Smith, Salford.

TOP TIP! Always look in BOTH directions when crossing a one-way street in case a large blue furniture removal lorry is reversing up the street.

From J Smith, Salford Royal Infirmary

From Viz Top Tips:

TOP TIP! Save time when crossing a one-way street by looking only in the direction of oncoming traffic.

From J Smith, Salford.

TOP TIP! Always look in BOTH directions when crossing a one-way street in case a large blue furniture removal lorry is reversing up the street.

From J Smith, Salford Royal Infirmary

:hihi::hihi::hihi:

It would be reasonable to look out for cars on a one way street. She can see me, maybe she wasnt paying attention. The point is to watch out for other road users and avoid them not abuse them.

I tried to explain but she wasnt interested..

---------- Post added 01-05-2015 at 14:31 ----------

In a car do you shout and abuse pedestrians if they try and cross the road??

She should have rung her bell when she saw you about to step out. She's doing something (legal) that is unexpected (Using a contraflow cycle lane, that people don't know is there). It's inexperience and bad manners on her part.

She should have rung her bell when she saw you about to step out. She's doing something (legal) that is unexpected (Using a contraflow cycle lane, that people don't know is there). It's inexperience and bad manners on her part.

people don't know it's there?! Is it an invisible cycle lane? Maybe that's the council's new plan for encouraging cycling - by installing cycle lanes on all Sheffield roads, albeit invisible ones.

Why is using a contraflow cycle lane "unexpected". This is a two way road (which is pretty normal). All that is different is that one of the directions is restricted to cycles. It is also very well marked.

Yes, all road users should be aware and try to look out for other people making mistakes, but at the end of the day it is up to the person crossing to check both ways, especially on a two way road, which this is.

As I asked earlier, what would ubermaus have done if it were a contraflow bus lane?