Guinea Pig advice

Thanks everyone for your help. I don't want it to be a phase and if we are getting one/two. We want to do it right. The only problem I am envisaging is that we have a sight hound.. He won't be a problem. He's too stupid to realise that he's meant to hunt such things. The guinea would have a secure run. (hubby's a fabricator it's his job to make things secure) but I have read they can be nervous. The run and hutch would have lots of hiding places. Would this be ok?

Mine love to be out on the grass, and are so used to my dogs around them in the house, they often come up to the mesh and chat to them!

I always cover one side with a damp towel to keep it cool, and put a water bottle on the side if they are going to be out for longer than an hour.

Hidey houses are good, but avoid plastic ones, they can cause condensation and encourage the growth of fungal (ringworm)

Mine love to be out on the grass, and are so used to my dogs around them in the house, they often come up to the mesh and chat to them!

I always cover one side with a damp towel to keep it cool, and put a water bottle on the side if they are going to be out for longer than an hour.

Hidey houses are good, but avoid plastic ones, they can cause condensation and encourage the growth of fungal (ringworm)

Ahhhh that's good to know. Thank you.

You can actually feed potato, only if its cooked and mixed with oats. I'm happy for you to come over and see/handle my piggies with your son if you wish, I'm available most of the time and can help you find the right type of piggies for you. Please don't go to P@H, they wont be handled and often havent been treated for mites and lice.

and ring worm !!

Ohhh Angel you are an absolute gem. Thank you! On a complete side note do you know who's the ginger and white cat possibly a tom is that seems to think I need serenading from around 10am and then again from 4.30am!

No problem, I'd be happy to have them. I'd love some myself but as with all small furries, I'm very allergic! I'd be ok to look after them for a few weeks though as long as I have my inhaler handy! :)

Yes, the ginger cat lives two doors away from me. Where the two annoying little yappy dogs live! He likes to sit in my front garden and torment my dog through the window!

We have just been given a smashing hutch. A friend of ours has upgraded her rabbit hutches and was taking it to the tip. Apart from the odd nibble it's brilliant condition. And it's a 5ft one which I believe is a good size for a pair of guinea!!! Don't know about my son but I am really really excited!!!

5 ft is a perfect size :)

Fantastic! I am going to order the book you recommend thank you! And on Monday we might go to the library to do some reading up if we get time.