Are Beeley Woods polluted?

I just wondered if anyone out there has any knowledge about what kind of contamination/ pollution there may be in Beeley Woods and whether this may impact on people? I know that historically there were ganistar (?) mines, one or more forges, some kind of chemical manufacturers in the 20th century and that there continues to be a number of industries based in this valley. But does anyone have any idea if this is likely to have impacted on the soil and streams in the woods etc? I had a look online and can only find very technical stuff about fish in the River Don. I am not remotely scientic so it didn't really help me much!

I just wondered if anyone out there has any knowledge about what kind of contamination/ pollution there may be in Beeley Woods and whether this may impact on people? I know that historically there were ganistar (?) mines, one or more forges, some kind of chemical manufacturers in the 20th century and that there continues to be a number of industries based in this valley. But does anyone have any idea if this is likely to have impacted on the soil and streams in the woods etc? I had a look online and can only find very technical stuff about fish in the River Don. I am not remotely scientic so it didn't really help me much!

I would say there will be lots of pollution in Beeley Woods, caused by outfall

of Carbon dust from the British Acheson/ UnionCarbide plant.Who produced

Carbon Graphite Electrodes there, from around 1942 to 2005 when they

closed

They're knocking down the old paper mill in Oughtibridge as well aren't they??

Can't be much industry around there now to pollute the woods, there's the TATA plant down at Stocksbridge which kinda go's on forever, but is there anything else?

• 4 weeks later...

In places, I guess. However, for at least 25 years there has been some pretty mean air pollution emanating from the vicinity of Intermet Refractory Products, on Platts Lane, Oughtibridge. Occasionally, the air is thick with the scent of what smells like burning plastics. Fortunately, this happens is far less frequently now than it did in previous years. Perhaps due to complaints from all the "newly built" housing that has sprung up on that side of the river? I wonder whether or not anyone is monitoring emissions from that business? I know I wouldn't want any children of mine breathing that air.

https://www.companiesintheuk.co.uk/ltd/intermet-refractory-products

Back in the 70s you used to get big lumps of of cotton/woolly stuff floating on the Don through the woods. Haven't seen that since so maybe it's getting better but perhaps there's stuff you can't see? The Loxley and Rivelin are orange these days with natural iron content?

Guest sibon
Back in the 70s you used to get big lumps of of cotton/woolly stuff floating on the Don through the woods. Haven't seen that since so maybe it's getting better but perhaps there's stuff you can't see? The Loxley and Rivelin are orange these days with natural iron content?

That would have been detergent.The big lumps of stuff were known as "swans". The detergents we use now, biodegrade more quickly, so you don't see them any more.

Blooming environmentalists, killing all the "swans".