How to upgrade internet explorer?

Chazndave

I think I need to update internet explorer. On a webpage. chelseafc one (so not a dogy one) it says it will work better with a modern browser). So I googled the latest browser which seems to be explorer 11. However it wouldnt let me install it. I got this message:

'OPERATING SYSTEM NOT SUPPORTED-You need Windows 7 SP1 or Server 2008 R2 SP1 to install Internet Explorer 11'

So can't I upgrade it?

How do I check what system ive currently got? thanks:help:

You're running an old unsupported version of Windows too, this is dangerous because you're more likely to get hacked. Make sure you don't do anything on your computer that you wouldn't want an organised crime group to know about (eg pay for anything, log into your email, paypal or online bank) until you're running some more modern operating system.

Backup anything important & then update your operating system, I suggest some type of Linux. This will come with a better version of Internet Explorer, called Firefox.

Edited by anywebsite

I think I need to update internet explorer. On a webpage. chelseafc one (so not a dogy one) it says it will work better with a modern browser). So I googled the latest browser which seems to be explorer 11. However it wouldnt let me install it. I got this message:

'OPERATING SYSTEM NOT SUPPORTED-You need Windows 7 SP1 or Server 2008 R2 SP1 to install Internet Explorer 11'

So can't I upgrade it?

How do I check what system ive currently got? thanks:help:

Ignore everything Anywebsite has to say and just install Chrome like normal people!

:D

---------- Post added 24-03-2015 at 22:47 ----------

you're running an old unsupported version of windows too, this is dangerous because you're more likely to get hacked. Make sure you don't do anything on your computer that you wouldn't want an organised crime group to know about (eg pay for anything, log into your email, paypal or online bank) until you're running some more modern operating system.

Backup anything important & then update your operating system, i suggest some type of linux. This will come with a better version of internet explorer, called firefox.

don't switch it on - the world will come to an end!

Or you might easily become a victim of fraud. You really shouldn't be running Windows XP, or outdated web browsers.

Ignoring what I said is about as clever as leaving your car parked with the keys in, engine running & your wallet on the passenger seat. You only need to visit a website with a dodgy advert on it & your PC is now owned by the Russian mob.

Edited by anywebsite

So next time explain your concerns. Telling someone who is probably not that computer savvy that the sky will fall in and they that should be running a Linux based os is just ridiculous. You've not even asked what os they are running!

---------- Post added 24-03-2015 at 23:35 ----------

Its a back to factory reset laptop and i havent a clue about computers. I think its windows 7 built in but no idea how to check.

If you've restored it to factory defaults then run windows update and it will bring it up to speed.

Click start, type windows update in the box and it should appear in the list. Select it and follow the prompts.

Edited by neeeeeeeeeek

To answer your original question:

Click Start(or Windows flag)/[right click]Computer/Properties.

The Properties window will pop up, and this will tell you which operating system you are running.

If it's Windows 7, just run all the updates and you will be fine. Click Start/Control Panel/View by: Small Icons/Windows Update/Check for updates. It may take a while - like 1 or 2 days, but stick it out and make sure you do them all.

If it's Windows Vista you will need to change your browser to something like chrome or firefox. This is because IE11 will not run on Vista. You still need to run all the updates for Vista though.

If it's XP you should consider replacing your laptop. Windows XP is no longer supported by Microsoft and is vulnerable to viruses and hacking threats. In my opinion it is not worth upgrading an old XP laptop.

Hope this helps, give me a ring if you get stuck or need any more advice. Good Luck!

Fine if you want Google to spy on you! Firefox or Opera 12.16 with the latter make sure SSL is disabled.

As anywebsite says - dangerous to continue to use XP.

It would save people an awful lot of time if there were a sticky which says:

What is your Operating System - with a guide to show people how it is obtained as Jon Nicholls wrote.

It would also reduce thread lengths - please do something Admins! ;) - Ghozer's guide just needs updating a little with the relevant information.