Benefit sanctions evidence

What genuine excuses are there, other than the two I've previously listed myself??

---------- Post added 13-07-2015 at 13:47 ----------

you what now??

My (soon ex) husband has moved out of our house, and we've agreed to split the care of our 4 children, the eldest 2 with me, the youngest 2 with him. He had 2 jobs but now only has one (due to needing to care for the children) and only works 8 hours per week at the moment. He'd probably be better off if he didn't. However, this means he now claims income support, and has to attend regular jobcentre interviews. He currently works 9.30-11.30 Monday - Thursday, so you wouldn't think it was difficult to arrange interviews to fit around those times, would you? He has had an appointment booked every week since April, which he has had to call up and cancel, and request a new one to be made either after 12.30pm, or on a Friday. He then gets a letter with another appointment, typically for 10.30am on a Tuesday. Hes been sanctioned, not to the level of fully losing his IS but it has fallen from something like £80 to £40 a fortnight. He has finally managed to get an appointment tomorrow for a time he can actually attend.

My (soon ex) husband has moved out of our house, and we've agreed to split the care of our 4 children, the eldest 2 with me, the youngest 2 with him. He had 2 jobs but now only has one (due to needing to care for the children) and only works 8 hours per week at the moment. He'd probably be better off if he didn't. However, this means he now claims income support, and has to attend regular jobcentre interviews. He currently works 9.30-11.30 Monday - Thursday, so you wouldn't think it was difficult to arrange interviews to fit around those times, would you? He has had an appointment booked every week since April, which he has had to call up and cancel, and request a new one to be made either after 12.30pm, or on a Friday. He then gets a letter with another appointment, typically for 10.30am on a Tuesday. Hes been sanctioned, not to the level of fully losing his IS but it has fallen from something like £80 to £40 a fortnight. He has finally managed to get an appointment tomorrow for a time he can actually attend.

Sorry to hear that.

Has your (soon ex) applied for working tax credit and child tax credit?

You really don't know what the effects of a four week benefits sanctions are.

Its not just the lack of money from the JSA. but you lose housing benefit, coucil tax benefit, you get being on your rent, you receive fines for missed direct debit payments from your bank, you get into even more debt.

if your rents over due too much then you get a repossession order against you.

ohh that's not taking into account that for those four weeks you have NOTHING TO EAT.

If it was not for the food bank I really dont know what i would have done.

its made me realize how much of a knife edge being unemployed puts you on.

Dont mention about hardship payments because if you have less that ten pounds in your bank account they say your not in hardship!!. you cant get less than ten pounds out of the machine in the wall.

I completely get that, monkey69. Few can be bothered to even consider the potential effects of a sanction and the possible wider consequences, least of all, Jobcentre Work Coaches!

For some, it can threaten their very existence. That is a very frightening place to be.

but if they are being sanctioned for failing to abide by the conditions on their jobseekers agreement, they deserve all they get.

Just to clarify - starvation and deprivation. If someone fails to abide by the conditions on their jobseekers agreement then they don't deserve to eat that week.

Three cheers for humanity!!

Whether they eat or not is up to them. But if they sign an agreement of things they need to do in order to receive a benefit and fail to live up to the terms of that agreement, of course they should not be paid. Why on earth should they? What is the point of having conditions if you get the money whether or not you fulfill them?