New & reopening pubs/bars

Andy C

The Bell Jar on London Road looks like it's reopening soon - there's a new sign up with the old name The Albion, also says Free House and Real Ales. Don't know any more than that yet.

Now open. I've not been in yet but appears to be several handpumps and I've heard they have beer from Abbeydale.

Yeah walked past the Albion last night looks ok bit of a clean up and a new sign good luck to them but I suspect they will need it.

You already have the Crown the Scholar ,barrel and the Cremone all very close to each other and with the exception of the Cremone they are virtually deserted in the week (except match days)

Yeah walked past the Albion last night looks ok bit of a clean up and a new sign good luck to them but I suspect they will need it.

You already have the Crown the Scholar ,barrel and the Cremorne all very close to each other and with the exception of the Cremorne they are virtually deserted in the week (except match days)

They just need to replicate the success of the Cremorne then....

Bus loads of people go past all day and evening. Lots of student accommodation in the area. Plenty of potential if they get it right.

They just need to replicate the success of the Cremorne then....

Bus loads of people go past all day and evening. Lots of student accommodation in the area. Plenty of potential if they get it right.

Not so sure myself.

There may be plenty of people walking past but its no longer much of a pub crawl area like say Ecclesall Rd or West Street imo

Not so sure myself.

There may be plenty of people walking past but its no longer much of a pub crawl area like say Ecclesall Rd or West Street imo

Ecclesall Rd is actually not that great for a pub crawl in the traditional sense as there aren't many 'proper' pubs and those that are there are quite spread out (and 2 of them aren't even on Ecc Rd itself). London Rd is potentially much better - loads of proper pubs very close together all along the main street.

So I agree with AndyC there is great potential for the pubs on here. I wish the Albion well and hope the others continue improving.

I always liked the way London Rd had so many old pubs close together. It's lost a few in recent years, but there is potential for those that remain to improve and create a better pub crawl scene than most areas. It's close to town yet has a different feel, it's got loads of restaurants nearby, hundreds of students and passing trade. If it was more of a drinking destination (as well as eating) I'm sure more people would go there and stay longer.

Ecclesall Rd is actually not that great for a pub crawl in the traditional sense as there aren't many 'proper' pubs and those that are there are quite spread out (and 2 of them aren't even on Ecc Rd itself). London Rd is potentially much better - loads of proper pubs very close together all along the main street.

So I agree with AndyC there is great potential for the pubs on here. I wish the Albion well and hope the others continue improving.

I always liked the way London Rd had so many old pubs close together. It's lost a few in recent years, but there is potential for those that remain to improve and create a better pub crawl scene than most areas. It's close to town yet has a different feel, it's got loads of restaurants nearby, hundreds of students and passing trade. If it was more of a drinking destination (as well as eating) I'm sure more people would go there and stay longer.

Note sure about that mate. If you start at the micropub on Eccy Rd and prepared to venture a little off-piste you have at least 4 'proper' pubs to go at in a relatively short distance before uoi hit the likes of Graze, Champs and ultimately Spoons.

Wen't down London Rd for the first time in ages a couple of weeks ago and noted the Crown had been done out but still had it's rather bland selection of beer. Now the Bell Jar has been renamed The Albion it could really do with being decorated more as such. I found it a little stark in there, and what point there was of having candles on the tables when the light was at working mans club level of brightness (ie - for bingo playing) I'm not sure. The cask beers (all Abbeydale) were OK tho. But other than the Cremorne I couldn't really find a pub worth visiting. Maybe I'm missing something?