Holiday pay ruling to impact millions of workers

Bit of both I think. Predictable, because they don't like putting their hands in their pocket. Understandable because they don't like putting their hand in their pocket.

LOL you are childishly funny, and predictable with your shallow stance!

Understandable because businesses with very small profit margins will really struggle with paying extra.

Its technically a good thing, but it has an effect too!

LOL you are childishly funny, and predictable with your shallow stance!

Understandable because businesses with very small profit margins will really struggle with paying extra.

Its technically a good thing, but it has an effect too!

And you're pathetic in your own little way too! I'm not going to lose any sleep though.

Consider the following:

Employee A and B both work the same hours, in the same job, and do the same amount of overtime. Employee A takes a week off and has his holiday pay calculated to include his OT so get his basic pay plus average OT. Employee B works that week but there is no OT available so only gets his basic pay, i.e. less than employee A. In what way if this a fair agreement?

jb

That neatly highlights the issue for me barleycorn.

Not only is it unfair, but also almost impossible to calculate/administer.

At heart of this are employees who rely on overtime to the extent that they can't afford to go on holiday. As you say, they can't afford for there to be no overtime either. Is the next step that everybody gets overtime when there's no overtime too?

It's called overtime for a reason.

I really hope that this only applies to compulsory overtime, and tbh I can understand why it should. But I've not been able to find confirmation of this yet. I think it will be crazy if it applies to voluntary overtime too.

Yup Russell Brand trumps David Cameron and other real politicians with an education!

Yep, every time!

Someone who's been through life, someone who respects poor people and understands their needs. Gets my vote every time.

Wrong thread though.

Bit of both I think. Predictable, because they don't like putting their hands in their pocket. Understandable because they don't like putting their hand in their pocket.

You missed out the part about why should they when an agreement was struck and agreed between the employer and employee when the contract was entered into....

In other words, you will howl and cry if the employer ever breaks faith but it's fine for the employee to break faith of course..

---------- Post added 05-11-2014 at 15:54 ----------

That neatly highlights the issue for me barleycorn.

Not only is it unfair, but also almost impossible to calculate/administer.

At heart of this are employees who rely on overtime to the extent that they can't afford to go on holiday. As you say, they can't afford for there to be no overtime either. Is the next step that everybody gets overtime when there's no overtime too?

It's called overtime for a reason.

I really hope that this only applies to compulsory overtime, and tbh I can understand why it should. But I've not been able to find confirmation of this yet. I think it will be crazy if it applies to voluntary overtime too.

Compulsory overtime is a misnomer. It's not work that is done over your allotted time - it is part of your allotted time because it's compulsory... :)

You missed out the part about why should they when an agreement was struck and agreed between the employer and employee when the contract was entered into....

In other words, you will howl and cry if the employer ever breaks faith but it's fine for the employee to break faith of course.

No, not what I said at all. I don't know how name times I've heard people on here go on about moaning employees having their contracts changed or having their pensions altered, to which the reply is always along the lines of "an employer has the right to change a contract whenever they want", etc.

Now the boot is on the other foot and it's hilarious to listen to some of the moaning!

Why should the fire service allow the government to change their contracts? A deal was struck, was it not??