Indoor Humidity ??

5iron2

Well i got a crystal trap today (for the kitchen) and a couple of tablet like ones (one in my mom's room where most of the damp seems to be). Hoping they work.

Edit: Also seemed to have found where the mold is coming from. Stuck the moisture trap in the corner next to her wardrobe.

Edited by Groose

It isn't just about the %rh humidity.. Time of year and air tempriture has a lot to do with the readings when using a hydrometer... When the air is warm like in summer or when you have the heating on, you will have a higher humidity reading because the air can hold more water... When air is warm the air expands and holds more water.. Having a reading of over 60% in winter if it's cold can be bad news, this is when mold will grow as this is an ideal condition for fungus growth... Always best to go off the summer reading of no more than 60%.. Good airflow is the key, if you have a good extractor in bathroom and kitchen, open windows regularly and still have high humidity, you have an issue.. This means water is coming into your home somehow and needs addressing..

ok - you have convinced me I have a problem. What do you think about installing a PIV unit?

I installed a PIV unit this w/e and seems to have already had an effect. Humidity readings are down and virtually no condensation this morning

Did you install it yourself 5iron2? We have a humidity issue in our house, particularly with the walk-in wardrobe we built and I've been looking at these PIV units and considering having one installed.

Did you install it yourself 5iron2? We have a humidity issue in our house, particularly with the walk-in wardrobe we built and I've been looking at these PIV units and considering having one installed.

yes i installed it myself, its fairly easy. I bought it off ebay for £295 - a DRIMASTER with heat, came next day, about 4 hours to install it. However I am now also having to go round making sure the ceiling is a sealed as possible, ie no air leakage holes back into the loft.

But as mentioned it appears to be having an effect already.

Have you ensured their is plenty of ventilation in your walk in wardrobes?

Are you still getting any issues now or has the piv unit sorted it for you?

After such a short time I am reluctant to say everything is sorted.I think it needs a few weeks before I can be 100% sure. However, yes I can confirm that humidity levels are lower and condensation issues seem to have gone.