Sheffield Estate agents

Sometimes, it is not always the agent that is th eproblem with purchasing a house, it is the vendor!!

I am still waiting a decision on an offer I put forward 2 weeks ago.

have you spoke to the vendor direct?

No, not spoke to her.

I was told that I would have a decision by Thursday last week.

It is now Wednesday and no contact from either agent or Vendor.

My estate agent thinks that by me contacting them that gives a message that I am really interested and they will then think I will put in full asking.

I will not.

I am now pursuing another property at Broomhill.

I will probably have the same problem here.

My experience of trying to buy a house in the desirable areas( Ranmoor, Broomhill, top part of Crookes) for the school( King Edwards) is not a good one.

We have seen 3 houses that we like and would be willing to buy.

1 has 1 offer, the others have no offers but thevendors all have ideas that their houses are worth so much more than they actually are.

I watched Location last night and the houses in Surrey were the same price as these houses that we have seen.It is the vendors that need to her real, not necessarily the agents.

Well thats the question, some agents give higher valuations to get the sellers to think they will get that price, then the seller is left not selling! I see it all the time, like i said in another post one agent valued a property £30k higher than another, and guess what the seller went for the higher one and hasnt had any viewers yet.

Yes, but at the end of the day, it is the vendor who has the final decision on what offer to accept.

The agent is suggesting that offers should be accepted but she is declining.

House prices in the better areas of Sheffield are a joke at the moment, comparable to some down south.

The dilema is that you have to live in a decent area to get a decent school.

The prices where the decent schools are are mainly unafordable, although both me and my husband both work full time and have well paid jobs.

The recent interest rate rises have had an impact but as yet, the vendors appear not to be reading newspapaers or listening to the news.

Sometimes a vendor has to have a house on the market for months and months before the reality hits that their house is not worth now what it was in July.

The houses that are still on the market are ones that are either overpriced or want so much work doing that it will take another 20k to do them up.(husband is in building trade but even so,money is an issue)

The result is that families like mine are unable to find a decent family home in an area with a good school

Originally posted by espadrille

The result is that families like mine are unable to find a decent family home in an area with a good school

Umm, isn't that the reason why they are expensive? High demand, high desirability, high value.

I can't afford that yacht with the on-board helicopter pad just yet, so I won't be berthing in Cannes in one this year. Life's just like that.

I dont live in the south of Sheffield and my boys go to excellent schools, i live in a great house on near to a beautiful country park and excellent local village,you do not have to live in the South of sheffield there are loads of other great areas at much more affordable prices .

You're absolutely right CaronP. :thumbsup:

I live in the SW now, but I'm most definately from North Sheffield.

[

The result is that families like mine are unable to find a decent family home in an area with a good school [/b][/quote

One main problem is that families are targetting 'popular' areas

so it is they who are pushing the prices up. So much so that in one or two prime areas some children living in the school catchment can't get in because it is so oversubscribed, resulting in those living on the edge of the catchment not getting in!

I teach in one of these popular schools but I really believe that many other schools deliver just as good an education even though they are not as sort after. Also, you can get a much nicer house for the same money - areas such as Worral, Loxley, Wadsley, Lower Walkley, Malin Bridge. I don't know the more southern parts of the city so I can't comment on those.

Thanks Tony!

Me and you agree on somethings then , thank god:)

Originally posted by espadrille

Sometimes, it is not always the agent that is th eproblem with purchasing a house, it is the vendor!!

I am still waiting a decision on an offer I put forward 2 weeks ago.

There are a lot of misguided vendors out there who plump for the highest valuation given and stubbornly hold out for it which is ridiculous as a property is in reality only worth what those interested in it are prepared to pay.

Me and my other half are being very sensible/realistic with our sale because we've found a property we would like to buy however although its only been a week we haven't had any genuine viewers.So far people have wanted things like a dining room which we don't have and I'm not sure you can get at the price we've put it on at. If we had a realistic offer we'd respond asap to the viewer, it's only fair.

So, what is the alternative?

Stay in the area where the school is that bad that kids who would normally get a good pass at GCSE are not even achieving a pass, due to class being ruled by mobs,where they are not brought up to know that education is a privelige.?

I know kids who were doing really well at the junior school and then moved to the secondary school and have seen their results fall drastically, after a year of being at the school.

Of course parents want the best for their children,dont you?

The alternative is to stay in the area, and pay for extra private lessons at 18 pounds an hour just so your child can pass a GCSE!

I dont think so.

I have 2 kids, aged 14 and 8 and, on principle, I would not pay to do that,why should I?.Ipay enough in community charges as it is.

The council should make provision for all schools to be managed properly,wherever the kids come from.