Sheffield Estate agents

I wish I'd read this thread before I went to more viewings this weekend.. I'm relocating to Sheffield for my job in January and looking to buy, and discovered the absolutely insane system of bidding the hard way today! I arranged a viewing with Estate Agents at the beginning of last week for this weekend just gone and they knew I was travelling from out of town. They neglected to mention that the house I had arranged to view already had two offers on the table above the asking price! I got a rather rude awakening this morning when I called to make my own offer to learn of all of this and got a fairly terse response when I eventually informed the agent I was not prepared to go beyond the asking price.

Is this normal for Sheffield? Are properties really selling for over the asking prices? It's only a half step from some serious gazumping going on. I'm astounded that buyers are actively being encouraged into bidding wars.

What's the point even of putting an asking price out there if sellers aren't prepared to abide by it. If you want more, ask for more from the outset! It all seems very unfairly weighted against us buyers!

I wish I'd read this thread before I went to more viewings this weekend.. I'm relocating to Sheffield for my job in January and looking to buy, and discovered the absolutely insane system of bidding the hard way today! I arranged a viewing with Estate Agents at the beginning of last week for this weekend just gone and they knew I was travelling from out of town. They neglected to mention that the house I had arranged to view already had two offers on the table above the asking price! I got a rather rude awakening this morning when I called to make my own offer to learn of all of this and got a fairly terse response when I eventually informed the agent I was not prepared to go beyond the asking price.

Is this normal for Sheffield? Are properties really selling for over the asking prices? It's only a half step from some serious gazumping going on. I'm astounded that buyers are actively being encouraged into bidding wars.

What's the point even of putting an asking price out there if sellers aren't prepared to abide by it. If you want more, ask for more from the outset! It all seems very unfairly weighted against us buyers!

Hi there,

I guess a lot depends on the estate agent involved. It always pays to ask if there are any offers before arranging to view a property. As for the asking price, agents cover themselves by asking for offers around that price.

I've had my house on the market since June and it's still not sold, as many other sellers have found, the market is generally very quiet.

The only fair way to buy/sell a house is to agree a fixed price, register that price with the land registry/solicitor and to accept the first offer at that price. But I doubt that will ever happen in this money orientated society :(

Kev

PS, if your looking for a 4 bed detached, just 7 years old, let me know ;)

If you have a good agent they will help you determine value, and help in negotiation, they will make sure that you get a good home inspection and a good loan. I have seen a lot of people that have been fooled by sellers into paying way to much or accepting a house in terrible condition. Check this site i found estate sales phoenix