Anyone remember Dale Motors?

Harry Barker was a mechanic at Gilders, the vw place, where he served his time I believe, before leaving to run his own business. Dale Motors.

Got to disagree with you there they were on the corner of Arnside road and Coniston road off Abbeydale road....

It was definitely on Arnside Rd...

Well, here is the evidence that Dale Motors was at 715 Abbeydale Road: From the 1957 Kelly’s Directory. Dale Motors is shown at 715 Abbeydale Road in the directories I have from 1954 to 1965 (in both the classified and street-by-street sections). If Dale Motors was also on Arnside Road, then this address does not appear in the 1954-65 directories. But see here: From the 1971 Kelly’s Directory.

I remember the place that is now a chemist on Abbeydale Road was a car dealers at one time, don't think it was Dale motors though…
In the 1971 directory, "F. Lownsbrough & Sons Ltd., motor car dealers" is shown at 715 Abbeydale Road. In my post #8 I just wanted to show the change that had taken place at 715 Abbeydale Road.

Trust Hillsbro to put the record straight - he has a vast knowledge of Sheffield and all the right books! :)

Was talking to my parents and they said Dale motors was definitely on Arnside road from the mid fifties when they went to live on Coniston road and to at least 1966 when we moved away from the area.

...Dale motors was definitely on Arnside road from the mid fifties when they went to live on Coniston road and to at least 1966...
As I wrote in my post #14, "If Dale Motors was also on Arnside Road, then this address does not appear in the 1954-65 directories". That is not to say they weren't there - they were just not shown there in directories. They were, however, shown at 715 Abbeydale Road in Kelly's directories - proof of this is in the first scan I linked. Perhaps they had two locations, and their Arnside Road place somehow didn't qualify for a directory entry (if it had no actual postal address, telephone etc.) until c. 1970 when they are listed at Arnside Road (see my second link, from the 1971 directory). Here is a scan of the Arnside Road section from the 1957 directory, and the relevant part of the alphabetical listing showing Dale Motors at 715 Abbeydale Road only. Edited by hillsbro

Dale Motors definitely had a place on Abbeydale Road, where the chemist's shop is now, in 1959-63. I used to pass it on my way to and from school.

Harry Barker was a workmate of mine at Waldot Service Station on Middlewood rd he left after he bought Dale Motors from a customer of Walter Dungworth the owner of Waldot.Harry was a good honest lad and a good mechanic he did indeed work at Gilders John st before he came to us

Harry Barker was a friend of my mum,who was also in the motor trade,she ran owlerton green garage and carmyles for seven years after my father died suddenly in 1966,Harry helped with advice.She left the motor trade in 1972 and bought lodge moor cafe.Harry bought my mums bungalow on hallam grange rise when she and I left sheffield in 1975 to join my elder brother who had moved over to the fylde coast in 1973.I remember him as a really nice man.RIP Harry.