My climbing rose has never flowered

I bought a climbing rose off the internet last year. Although it covered the pergola with healthy leaves it never flowered. I was told this was due to the position of it and the fact I had never fed it. In the Autumn I moved it so it was in full sun all day and started feeding it from March with a rose feeder. It looks really healthy with lush green leaves but no flower buds! Please can anyone help?

Do you know it's name?

Granma.

Unfortunately I don't know. I bought it off the internet from a

reputable garden centre but can't remember which one so I can't

contact them. Do you have any ideas for me

You might have pruned it at the wrong time. Some need pruning in early spring, others after flowering, depending on whether they flower on the current growth or the previous years growth. Also, try to train it as laterally as possible, that way you get more flowers all along rather than just at the top (when it does flower). The only other possibility is that it's too immature.

Thank you so much for your advice. I'm wondering whether to

not prune at all this year rather than do it at the wrong time? Perhaps

if it is immature I should give it another year before I give up

on it? Thanks again

Thank you so much for your advice. I'm wondering whether to

not prune at all this year rather than do it at the wrong time? Perhaps

if it is immature I should give it another year before I give up

on it? Thanks again

I bought a gorgeous yellow rambler,it flowered straight away massive yellow roses,,on the care instructions mine says do not prune,,i just take off the dead heads.Good luck with it.

I am pretty sure it's a climbing rose not a rambler! As it hasn't flowered I can't prune 'after flowering'! Thank you.

I am pretty sure it's a climbing rose not a rambler! As it hasn't flowered I can't prune 'after flowering'! Thank you.

Well no need to thank me.Im sorry I spoke.:roll:

Is it OK to re-pot a Bizzie Lizzie when it's in flower and can it be put outside?

I bought a climbing rose off the internet last year. Although it covered the pergola with healthy leaves it never flowered. I was told this was due to the position of it and the fact I had never fed it. In the Autumn I moved it so it was in full sun all day and started feeding it from March with a rose feeder. It looks really healthy with lush green leaves but no flower buds! Please can anyone help?

Climbing / rambling roses are of two types. One flowers on new sideshoots from a framework of older growth, one only flowers on at least second year wood. From your description of it as very vigorous I suspect this rose is the latter and when you cut it back you removed all the growth it made last year, which would have flowered this year. The correct way to prune this sort of rose is to cut out no more than a third of the oldest stems, all the way to the ground. This can be done after flowering or during the winter. No climber or rambler should be pruned in the first two years anyhow, except to remove diseased or weak growth. I would suggest simply not pruning this winter and your rose will most likely flower next year.

Other possible reasons your rose might not be flowering:

- Overfeeding can cause leafy growth at the expense of flowering in most plants, especially high nitrogen food. Rose food is low nitrogen for this exact reason, but still be careful not to exceed the recommendations.

- You don't say if your rose is planted in a pot or in the ground. Roses hate being in pots, but it usually affects growth rather than stopping them flowering completely

- Newly planted plants require extra water in their first couple of years, but again I'd expect this to show in the leaves rather than stop flowering.

Many thanks for your advice, which I will take. Here's hoping for loads of flowers next year. ( It's in the ground by the way!)

I had a rambling rose for a present, this is its third year and its never flowered, but every year its leaves have had spots on them, so got fed up with it and its now in the bin, and mine was from a garden canter on the internet as well.