Replacement window & door recommendations MEGATHREAD. NO JOBS, ADS OR QUOTES

My husband and I bought a house last January. My husband wants to replace the windows in order to save energy costs.

Our house was built in 1999, and the windows are original, cheap builder-grade single pane wood frame windows. We have noticeable drafts, plus the screens are broken on many of them, which means we can't leave the windows open for heating/cooling purposes - we have cats, and without screens, they would just jump out the window and get hit by a car or something (and this is not something I am going to risk).

Now my husband can't choose the window. I found there variants, that I liked (second, third and last). What do you think about this? Help to make a choice:confused:

Hi Janez

It wasn't clear which set of windows you were referring to on your link: the group of five windows in the middle of the page or the group of ten windows at the bottom; but either way, if you want to save energy, you don't want a lot of small panes of glass separated by glazing bars.

So the last windows (in the group of 10), which are actually French doors, would be the best option.

I would recommend you look at other houses nearby and see if there are any styles that you like, and that would also fit in with the local architecture. If you have windows that are too out of keeping with the local architecture it may detract from the value of your house.

Basing your selection on something you have seen nearby will also help guarantee that they can be manufactured for a reasonable price. A good joiner can make just about anything, but the windows will be very expensive if there is a lot of labour involve, e.g. the second window in the group of ten.

Good luck

Hi Janez

It wasn't clear which set of windows you were referring to on your link: the group of five windows in the middle of the page or the group of ten windows at the bottom; but either way, if you want to save energy, you don't want a lot of small panes of glass separated by glazing bars.

So the last windows (in the group of 10), which are actually French doors, would be the best option.

I would recommend you look at other houses nearby and see if there are any styles that you like, and that would also fit in with the local architecture. If you have windows that are too out of keeping with the local architecture it may detract from the value of your house.

Basing your selection on something you have seen nearby will also help guarantee that they can be manufactured for a reasonable price. A good joiner can make just about anything, but the windows will be very expensive if there is a lot of labour involve, e.g. the second window in the group of ten.

Good luck

Thanks now it becomes clear

• 4 weeks later...

Only old threads found and many firms in them have closed/folded.

Need recommendations for replacing our windows. We are wanting 2 bow windows and 3 maybe 4 others ( depends on the quote if we do these now or later).

Upvc possibly triple glazed as live on a busy road so want to cut the noise if possible. Are the argon filled any better than the others?

plus what is solar active energy saving glass?

We have a quote just need a couple more from FENSA registered fitters.

Many thanks

Hi there my name is Mark from bluestone upvc and we would be happy to provide you with a free no obligation quote. We are a highly motivated family run business offering a first class service. Backed by our Certass registration and insurance backed guarantee.

If we can of any help please call me on 01142874024/ 07720916825

http://www.bluestoneupvc.co.uk

Thanks Mark.