What the chances of OZ Wheels taking me to court and winning?

Hi people.

As you will know I have been modifying my wheelchair to make it stand out more. Well for years people have been asking why I don't get some alloys, but obviously they don't make alloy wheels for wheelchairs. So ive had the standard wheels sprayed white and the "OZ Racing" logo added using stickers, then laquered.

Before I did I emailed oz racing but didn't receive a reply so I went ahead with it. I were about fit them when I just received an email from OZ Wheels saying they can not allow it, so I must remove the wheels.

I have never said they are OZ Wheels and on my website it even says "imitation oz".

So what would be the chances of them taking me to court if I left them? What gets me us you can get OZ Racing stickers which anyone could fit to any wheels.

You can see a picture and the text on my website

http://dans-garage.co.uk/wheelchair.php

Edited by TheBlueDragon

Practically nil. It would be far too damaging to them to take a wheelchair user to court, who is providing what is in effect free advertising for them. Leave 'em where they are BlueDragon, we're right behind you :D

You shouldn't have send them an e-mail, annoying but true!

Having said that, what Maz3 says is right, they won't take you to court and if they do you get more publicity for your project anyway, which is good for emancipation of wheelchair users around the country, so... in a weird way, let's hope they do. I am sure Sheffieldforum will happily support a fundraiser for the fine that might possibly ensue.

I'd say try and get their response plastered across every auto related social media site you can.

They could technically sue you for use of their logo but it wouldn't do their reputation much good :)

I know I would have been best to now contact them but I thought it was the right thing to do and that they would understand. Their exact response was:-

We are sorry but we cannot allow the use of our logo on wheels that are not produced by our company. For this reason we have to ask you to remove the stickers from all wheels that are not OZ wheels!

So does this mean that if anyone has any OZ Racing stickers on any set of wheels they must remove them? As you regularly get OZ stickers in magazines etc

Yes, it means that OZ could take everybody else with stickers on their wheels to court, but the difference with you is that they do have your contact details and know that you have done it, whereas with everybody else it's only if they happen to find pictures online or in magazines that they know about it.

In terms of whether they will take you to court, lots of statistical analysis has shown that you cannot predict which person is going to actually push through with legal cases, even with cases which either can't be proven or will cost far more money than can ever be expected in damages.

Granted it won't help their image to take a wheelchair user to court, but look at how much money McDonalds have spent on taking literally everybody who they spot who they feel is using any of their titles, images or similar names to court, even if that person is clearly not making money on the back of the names or images they are using.

I know I would have been best to now contact them but I thought it was the right thing to do and that they would understand. Their exact response was:-

So does this mean that if anyone has any OZ Racing stickers on any set of wheels they must remove them? As you regularly get OZ stickers in magazines etc

You should charge them for the advertising space,:) and I've just looked and their are hundreds of different OZ stickers available on the net, so my guess is that there will be thousands of people with them stuck on cars and bits of cars that were not made by OZ. I would stop worrying about it and get on with enjoying your cool wheel chair.