Infamous Balti King

jerryboy

I can believe that, it's a place realy for pi**ed up nights out, all the curries have the same gravy, just something extra to what it is, e.g. dopiaza more onions, jalfrezi more peppers & tomatoes!

I gotta disagree with the other guy, oth speciality dishes at Gulshan & Kashmir are proper indian food, not an indian mcdonalds like the balti king.

Hanski is correct...its the only place open late!! apart from the usual takeaways :hihi: ..so all drunk people come and eat without having any idea of the flavour of the curries.. :hihi::P

Romario.. mate.. you shud offer some tips to them :help:...you can differentiate what is in the dish:hihi: ;)..

clix.. :huh: go to other places too okay mate... and then tell the difference.. :hihi:

ok, a bsaic 'gravy' as its called its just garlic, onions & ginger fried off &garam masala & a fiew other spices added, loads of tomato puree & & water, cooked for ages to create, lets say a background to what you need!

Then if you order a Korma, the chicken is cooked, bit of coconut & almonds, cream & the gravy, same with a Jalfrezi, cooke the chicken, add the green peppers, quatered tomatoes, chillies & the infamous gravy. Thats why they can chuck dishes out quick!

Whereas the Gulashan & Kashmir, gring as to preference,! When you chose what you want, the appropriate spices are added! Some dishes may need mustard seed, Ajwain seed, some (like Jalfrezi) need fennel seed! So thats the difference.

But after a skinfull, i guess who cares, just don't insult any of the waiters by saying it's slow service or whatever, you may get something extra in your curry you don't want!

If anyone wants a curry at their home, cooked fresh pm me!.

Rom

Haven't been to Balti King for a few years.

Mostly because one night my mate dared to complain about his food being utterly tasteless, and got into an argument with a waiter who proceeded to drag him to the top of the stairs and threaten to throw him down them. We didn't leave a tip...

Haven't been to Balti King for a few years.

Mostly because one night my mate dared to complain about his food being utterly tasteless, and got into an argument with a waiter who proceeded to drag him to the top of the stairs and threaten to throw him down them. We didn't leave a tip...

funny that. i know of one case where someone complained about the tasteless food. the waiter brought out salt and pepper! UH! no it's the lack of REAL curry spices mate.

I wouldn't eat at that place if it was the last curry house in Sheffield:gag:

Too many times I've heard how good it is and too many times I've been disappointed. I think it's reputation comes from the fact it's dirt cheep and students love a bargain! For an extra couple of quid per meal, you can get a propper curry from Ayesha's on Ecclesall road. Now that's a propper curry house!:thumbsup:

I have been to the Balti King on numerous occasions and I have found that if you go early in the evening, the service is quick and polite, and the food -although chopped and reformed meat in sauce, frankly- is tasty. As the evening wears on, the behaviour of customers deteriorates and so does their patience. I think mine would too. The service follows suit and the food is more flung at you as they tar everyone with the same brush.

Tony always welcomes me as though I'm an old friend even if i've not been for ages which amuses me.

Now for takeaway, I always go to Rajput on South Road where the road dips after the hill from Crookesmoor road. Fantastic food all the time. They don't deliver though, unfortunately.