Blue Badge misuse at hospital visits

Maybe it's 90% of the one person you came across, who APPEARED to be abusing the badge.

It may be that the person you saw walking way from the car wan't disabled... but did you see them a few minutes earlier, as they were dropping the actual disabled person off at the ward entrance so they could visit their husband/ wife?

or perhaps they were parking up, in readiness to pick that same person up?

Can you see through a person's flesh, and see Angina? COPD (ok, I accept that my dad does go more than a bit blue around his lips when he's having a particularly bad day...)

You can't see my pacemaker through my body. You can't see my friend's Stents or her angina.

you cannot see my nephew's autism, nor can you see, just by glancing at him, his tendency to run off into traffic, unaware of the danger he places himself in.

I heard the daughter telling her dad that it took ages to park even using his badge ./ If ones at it so are others :confused: It went some thing like she it took me ages to park / He you got my blue badge havent you it shouldnt be to bad./ I could not help over hearing as i was visiting a mate who was in bed at side

Edited by spider1

YOU are exactly the person who would benefit whats up with you

Had it occurred to you that I may not wish to explain every minute issue with my health with everybody who feels that it is their right to know?

All you need to know is that I have sufficient health problems and disabilities that the government doctors have agreed that I receive DLA and ESA, along with a blue badge.

Misuse of the Blue Badge is a criminal offence and the maximum penalty is £1000. However, the precise position when parking on private land is not too clear and depends on the particular circumstances.

Some councils are very keen on enforcing the regulations and withdraw the badge in cases of misuse as well as prosecution of the offenders.

The regulations for use are perfectly clear - the concessions of the Blue Badge are for the badge holder only and in person.

http://www.nidirect.gov.uk/the-blue-badge-parking-scheme

I was in charge of car parking at a large hospital group and parking for the disabled was always a problem. In the end we moved all such parking spaces to very near the hospital clinic entrances and all other parking to more remote locations and then rigorously enforced the parking regulations. Several persons lost their blue badges as a consequence.

As a final point the blue badge enables parking in specific conditions. It does not entitle a person to park free of charge, this is a concession and not a right.

Had it occurred to you that I may not wish to explain every minute issue with my health with everybody who feels that it is their right to know?

All you need to know is that I have sufficient health problems and disabilities that the government doctors have agreed that I receive DLA and ESA, along with a blue badge.

Well said Medusa

Well said Medusa

You dont have to explain yourself to anybody ./ Just turn it over its got your photo on it . End off

You mean my views about being challenged by people because I look too healthy to have a badge?

Or how about the day that a traffic warden decided to 'seize' my badge because it was clearly being used illegally- until I told him to turn it over and check my picture?

Or the fact that if you're young and disabled this sort of thing happens with monotonous regularity including people who make comments about. 'oh, you young fit people, you have no idea how hard it is if your health isn't doing so well' when you're in hospital and on your 8th year of chemotherapy?

Just because I don't carry an x-ray of my back with me at all times, that does not give people the right to take it upon themselves to judge whether or not I am disabled enough to use a badge when doctors and the government have seen all of the proof that they need in order to issue the badge in the first place!

I'm 100% behind reducing fraudulent usage of badges, but believe me, if 90% of users were using them fraudulently then something would have been done about it by now. Just because people don't wish to discuss their disability with strangers or wear a sign around their necks with their disability displayed on it, that does NOT mean that they are faking it.

Are those the sorts of views you were looking for?

Just an idea, its clear that some of the people with a blue badge need it some of the time, but not all the time, you have good days and bad days, so on your good days when you feel able to walk a little further don't use the badge and on your bad days when walking is very painful, use the badge, that why only the people with the most need on a given day use the available parking spaces.

Just an idea, its clear that some of the people with a blue badge need it some of the time, but not all the time, you have good days and bad days, so on your good days when you feel able to walk a little further don't use the badge and on your bad days when walking is very painful, use the badge, that why only the people with the most need on a given day use the available parking spaces.

Good thought, but I can tell you that even on a good day I'd struggle to get the distance from any of the standard car parks and the pain is bearable rather than absent.

Good thought, but I can tell you that even on a good day I'd struggle to get the distance from any of the standard car parks and the pain is bearable rather than absent.

The rule would clearly ably to everyone and not everyone with a blue badge will have as much need as you, If I was a disable as you say you are then I would be a little peeved if people with significantly less need than me was using the bays and leaving me to walk further than I should be walking. I'd want as many rules and checks as possible to make sure that the only people using the parking bays were in need of them.

The rule would clearly ably to everyone and not everyone with a blue badge will have as much need as you, If I was a disable as you say you are then I would be a little peeved if people with significantly less need than me was using the bays and leaving me to walk further than I should be walking. I'd want as many rules and checks as possible to make sure that the only people using the parking bays were in need of them.

The answer is simple the blue badge should have the photo of wno it belongs to on the top face up. Why you have a photo of the owner face down is beyond me. :loopy::loopy:

The answer is simple the blue badge should have the photo of wno it belongs to on the top face up. Why you have a photo of the owner face down is beyond me. :loopy::loopy:

Privacy is a crazy thing!

Privacy is a crazy thing!

People would not park in a disabled bay with some elses badge so easily as they know they would be caught out easily . Much to easy now to borrow a badge park and walk away if the photo of the owner was visable the muppets would be put off and owners not so keen to lend them out as they know they would have them consfiscated its rife and everybody knows it any one who disagrees with this does not deserve one.

Edited by spider1

There was a long history of women being attacked and robbed when returning to their cars when their photo clearly showed that they were female. If you advertise that you're female and you're vulnerable then there is a small subset of society that will exploit that in the most horrible ways.

If people are going to have to have their photos and names on show on their cars when they park up then why should that only apply to people with disabilities? How about all of those who park badly, or illegally? Why only those who society already treats in such a dreadful way?