Bus drivers and disability passes.

If it was my child that had been turned away by a bus driver I would make sure that there was an adult with them the next and the one after that to make sure the child got on the bus without problems. I certainly wouldn't let a child who had had a traumatic experience on a bus one day try and get on the same bus the next day without support

its not promoting their independence is it? That is the problem, they shouldn't have to travel accompanied, they are 18,19 years old and have the right not to be traumatised on their bus journey, especially not by a bus driver...

its not promoting their independence is it? That is the problem, they shouldn't have to travel accompanied, they are 18,19 years old and have the right not to be traumatised on their bus journey, especially not by a bus driver...

I agree with you. I was suggesting that the young person needs support whilst these problems are happening. In a week or two the bus drivers should all have got the message.

I wouldn't want my son / daughter to have to cope with these problems on their own hence suggesting they were supported for a while

I agree, and will be at the bus stop with my son from now on, in the background, just till I see the bus go, he wont know, hopefully unless he has a problem.

Let me guess. First bus was it? complain to the bus company, and SYT. But then again, expecting First to teach those Neanderthals customer service skills is like training a dinosaur to fly a jumbo jet.

When the bus companies introduce something like this, all they do is stick a notice up on the already packed notice board and expect all the drivers to see it. So some drivers who may have just got back from their holiday or have had a few days off, may not have a chance to read the notices before starting their shifts and know nothing about it.

It's not the drivers fault, it's the companies fault for not doing more to make sure all their drivers are aware of new rules and changes.

Let me guess. First bus was it? complain to the bus company, and SYT. But then again, expecting First to teach those Neanderthals customer service skills is like training a dinosaur to fly a jumbo jet.

Why are you guessing it was a First bus??? the one highlighted in the Star newspaper was a Stagecoach No 88 bus.

Problem is for many bus drivers there is too many new rules/passes/tickets coming out.

The PTE launch new tickets along with the bus company's own, new rules, basically the noticeboard is crammed full of info and its possible some drivers may miss the info.

This new extension pass was never properly organised. The info about mobility/senior passes changing had been around for a couple of months. The info about the new extension came to light about 4 days before the new rules came into play. When all affected kids got a letter at home with an application form a week before the start none of the bus/tram companies knew anything about it. They only got the posters from the PTE a couple of days before it went live. Hence possible some drivers on holiday at time may not be aware of the extension pass as may have missed the notice on the board when signing on.

The scheme is being funded by Sheffield Council and not the PTE.

I am going to take the unusual step on the Sheffield Forum of defending a First Bus Driver. Yes there is a first time for everything but the above poster is correct. Its barking mad there are so many passes and id's they are not going to be able to keep track as well as managing normal tickets. There needs to be a simpler clearer system.

Guest busdriver1

Prejudging staff on any company is not really clever. Insults like this result in you getting the type of customer service you deserve. I do not drive buses in Sheffield because of people with this type of attitude.

I am going to take the unusual step on the Sheffield Forum of defending a First Bus Driver. Yes there is a first time for everything but the above poster is correct. Its barking mad there are so many passes and id's they are not going to be able to keep track as well as managing normal tickets. There needs to be a simpler clearer system.

There WAS a simple clear system in place. Then the ITA, in their wisdom, decided to mess the whole concessionary pass thing up, to the point of "FUBAR".

Now no-one knows if the are on their backside or their elbow.

A point worth remembering, no doubt I will get castigated for saying this, however,

When a pass is shown could the user please make sure that both parts of the pass are clearly visible.

I agree its tricky for drivers, but what about just common sense and humanity, these kids look like what they are, my son included..... how could any decent person put a confused boy off the bus not knowing how they will cope or get to school/home. I just don't get that.

Well it is easy to make the assumption, based on experience and observation. You can choose not to see it if you want, but it is quite obvious that first drivers are not trained in customer service.

As for it being stagecoach, my bad. Surprising really as their staff are usually great.