Sheffield Half Marathon is a shambles

To me its not just the issue of whether they were clear whether payment in advance was a condition.

Having done some project management when you are dealing with suppliers for critical items,as in this case water clearly was even when it is paid for you are in regular contact with them checking that everything is running to plan so that any issues can be sorted quickly.You don't just place an order then forget about it and hope that it goes to plan.

I know that shm organisers were volunteers and may not have had much time but it really does not take long just the odd phone/call email particularly as the event draws closer.

Would have thought this was fairly basic stuff organising and event like this.

It still seems hard to believe that one side or the other didn't make contact on the couple of days before the SHM... a simple call either way to check what time it was being delivered (at which point you would expect the lack of payment to be raised), and we'd have had no issues.

From the WD statement, it looks clear that they had no intention of delivery until they got paid (which is understandable) - so can't see it being in their interest not to have contacted SML to see why there was no payment...

If either side had been in contact, and they had proof of this, surely they would've been busting a gut to tell us if it shifted the blame to the other party.

Sad to hear of the death of one of the London Marathon runners yesterday.

A couple of issues here...

"The water firm that was blamed for the cancellation of the Sheffield half marathon claims water supplies were not delivered because it had not been paid.

Water Direct said race organisers had made an order but the contract stated payment had to be made before delivery.

In a statement it said that despite sending reminders to organisers no payment was received".

Water Direct, which has supplied water for the event for the last two years, confirmed organisers had placed an order on the 21 March but it refuted suggestions it had "let them down".

In a statement, it said: "After amending their requirements a number of times they did indeed place an order on 21 March accepting our offer, the terms of which, as always, clearly state that full payment is required in advance of delivery.

"It is that payment that confirms the contract and triggers our process of scheduling the assets for delivery.

"In the absence of that payment, despite our reminding them of the need to pay, the scheduling did not occur."

There in lies the problem. Until a final order is in the pot and payment made the customer could easily have altered the requirements based on runner numbers etc. So it was pretty important for SHM to comply with the requirements and place a firm binding finalised order.

Edited by Emily Moore

I think that people are not been told the full facts here

Something I have noticed about their website that still hasn't changed......

At the bottom of the website it says "Under UKA Rules - Race License Applied For". Now could the water have been 'forgotten' to be ordered as someone forgot to chase the race license up?

Come on give us a break..

A credit account is what you open when you want to trade on credit terms. Even if you want to buy a sofa from DFS.

Our company has credit customers. To become a credit customer you submit an application. You state your likely business level, provide credit references and bank details. Then we set a credit limit and you can start buying on credit. Until then it would be cash with order. That is pretty much standard business practice for trade customers.

You can't just ring Forgemasters order a 500 tonne forging and expect them to produce it without payment if you aren't a registered credit customer.

So do you believe that Boeing (as a random example), would have to open a credit account with Forgemasters before placing an order?

So do you believe that Boeing (as a random example), would have to open a credit account with Forgemasters before placing an order?

yes. why wouldn't they?

Do you think if competitors in Sheffield Half Marathon were given 90 days credit by the organisers that they would all be making payment to them in June?

When I ran a business I found that large international companies and government department were the worst payers.

When I ran a business I found that large international companies and government department were the worst payers.

I agree, of the businesses I knew many of the large businesses took up to and beyond the invoice terms before they paid, but they knew that their business was so valuable and important they knew that they could take advantage of small businesses.

If you caused a fuss they went elsewhere, but the advantage was that you knew you were going to be paid - eventually.

I agree, of the businesses I knew many of the large businesses took up to and beyond the invoice terms before they paid, but they knew that their business was so valuable and important they knew that they could take advantage of small businesses.

If you caused a fuss they went elsewhere, but the advantage was that you knew you were going to be paid - eventually.

Unless they go broke in the meantime.

Amending your order beforehand is irrelevant. The point is they did place the finalised order on 21 March.

despite our reminding them of the need to pay
is the crux of the communication matter, who, when how.

Did they just send another invoice email or fax that could have been lost or overseen?

Did talk to someone relevant who could have done something about the situation.

Whats wrong with them getting on the phone if they work as part of a team and know a clients business as they claim?

The only people who say they knew there was an issue were WD (notwithstanding the organisers should have checked). I do think that places them in a situation where they should have done something about it, which amounts to a phone call.

Unless they go broke in the meantime.

That's the risk.

Amending your order beforehand is irrelevant. The point is they did place the finalised order on 21 March.

Did they just send another invoice email or fax that could have been lost or overseen?

Whats wrong with them getting on the phone if they work as part of a team and know a clients business as they claim?

The only people who say they knew there was an issue were WD (notwithstanding the organisers should have checked). I do think that places them in a situation where they should have done something about it, which amounts to a phone call.

from your own post "despite our reminding them of the need to pay "

How many times can you remind someone of the need to pay between 24th March and 6th April without it being harassment?

Why is it on the supplier to do something about it, in this situation it would be the the organisers job to make sure everything is paid up, and finalised. They made an order, should have looked at the contract, and had reminders.