Army: women may be fighting on front line

Salsafan often refers to her strange experiences in the IT world. You should read some of her other posts, they're 'interesting'.

There were many women in ground combat roles in the Red Army during the war with Germany. They also flew small planes in combat on night raids. The requirements of manpower made that a necessity.

Same with the Israeli Army... a matter of meeting manpower requirements.

That's not the case as far as the British or any other present day western military forces are concerned so it must be on a strictly voluntary basis so let them if they want to as far as I'm concerned. The one concern though is capture by the enemy. If the enemy does not subscribe to the Geneva Convention in the matter of treatment of POWs and /or the culture defines women as being second rate to men then in caes like that women should not be allowed to risk getting into such a situation

British women can take pretty much every role except infantry soldier. That includes front line combat pilot.

Charges with 50 lb back packs and close up fixed bayonet combat belong to the dark ages/

These days you dont in most cases even see the enemy you kill. Women can easily fit into that kind of warfare. Even a modern tank is operated by computer and automated gun loader. No manhandling or bodily strength required

If those are requirements for being in the infantry (they're not, that would be more like special forces of some kind) then women who can pass the required tests should be allowed to join.

All the women who wanted equality, have to expect to do as the men do. I have always thought it a bit odd that women want to join the forces/play rugby/football, Just my opinion.

I say go for it. If women want to be equal, then let them at it. Can't have it both ways, society is either equal or it is not.

All the women who wanted equality, have to expect to do as the men do. I have always thought it a bit odd that women want to join the forces/play rugby/football, Just my opinion.

Why do you find it odd? Playing rugby and football is fun?

.....................I did say 'in my opinion'. I just think it is not very feminine. That said, I will always welcome a man holding open a door for me/standing to allow mweto sit down, but then 'back in the day' that's how it used to be.

A poll would have been good for this thread.

.....................I did say 'in my opinion'. I just think it is not very feminine. That said, I will always welcome a man holding open a door for me/standing to allow mweto sit down, but then 'back in the day' that's how it used to be.

Isn't equality all about not having to conform to someone elses idea of what is feminine or masculine? Or even better, those distinctions not even existing?

Ah I see, sorry I thought you were a man for some reason, saying you didnt understand why women want to play rugby and football.

I like playing rugby and football, I dont see whats unfeminine about it, its just sport. I always welcome people holding doors open for me (good manners) but I would rarely accept a seat as I am able to stand as well as any other person.