Was being an apprentice in the fifty's and sixty's a pain in the bum.

Much of what you are talking about here cuttsie , rings a bell .

I started my apprenticeship in 59. We were referred to as " yard lads ".

We used to do the fetching and carrying for all the blokes on piece work , which included making tea at all break times , sandwiches and fish and chips at lunch times , materials for for their jobs .

We used to load and unload all the vans and . when delivering the finished jobs - furniture - one of the lads would go on the delivery's with the driver . This meant all over the country.

We were all subjected to torment and ridicule by the tradesmen but, I have to say , never subjected to any physical risks.

I think that it is worth adding a rider at this point though.

When these fledglings graduated on to the shop floor , they were taught their trade by " Craftsmen" ,who took a great pride in their trade . Oh yes ! If you did something wrong - made a mistake - you and everyone else knew about it.

You was shown how to do it right and , you made bloody sure that you did,t repeat it .

We never had college and theory training - it wasn't needed . The training was on the job by craftsmen and practice . And it worked .

And it would still work if all the bleedin heart brigade would shut up and let lads enter the real World instead of pussy footing around like mother n]hens.

And it would still work if all the bleedin heart brigade would shut up and let lads enter the real World instead of pussy footing around like mother n]hens.

To right cuttsie.

Our education bill wouldn't be nearly so unbearable and the trades would be learned to a far better standard .

Only problem is there would not have been " jobs for the boys" .

There's them that can do , and those that can't - teach .

I was an apprentice mechanic when I was a lad they tried all that getting a tin of air and long stand stuff on me,I was a big lad when I was young and I went to boxing school so I could handle myself and soon let them know I wasn't a mug. once we got that out of the way I enjoyed my time as an apprentice and it has kept me in work ever since,its a shame that the apprentice type of training has dwindled over the years.I tried to get my lad in as an apprentice but there was so much competition for places,I ended up having him learn on the job with me although he is a good mechanic now it was hard for him to get a decent job without the papers,he has just recently past his MOT testers course and will be an MOT tester at the garage he now works at...

yes it was a pain in the arse my first job at the garage I worked at diesel electric service statin on ellin street in the mid 60s my first job in a mornig was sweep the garage floor, then wash and clean parts, then to make the tea and fetch the sandwich's. watch one of the auto electricians Charlie dilks, and watch fred crossley make batteries, and went home filthy but proud kids today don't want to start with the menial jobs but want to go straight in for a wage of around £200 a week you have to start at the bottom on poor wages

I started my apprenticeship as a plumber with the PWD at Worthing road depot in August 1957, and never had any problems. No long stands no sky hooks nothing.