What is a Pippy Show ?

I love hearing these old sayings again, I remember at work if you buggered some thing up, you could guarantee somebody would break their neck to tell you,

"Tha's made a reight pigs ear o that "..:hihi:

Edited by grinder

If somebody says to you 'Tha' looks a reight pippy show'. it means you look a right idiot. Susie1 got it right.

Quite right Texas, the opposite to looking a bobby dazzler...

Its an old Yorkshire saying - my grandparents use to say it.

Strange, but I myself used this term this past week to my wife who I was trying to explain what had occured between a group of neighbours not far away from where we live - its simply another way of saying ' Showing yourself up

Can anybody tell me the where the saying "It'll be a right pippy show" originaly came from please, or is it just a Sheffield saying

I certainly remember that saying My Mother used it a lot of times to me my brother and sister when she caught us doing something we should not have being doing,her version was "What is this a pippy show " as to where it originates I don't know thanks for the memories

My mother bless her used to say 'it's a right pippy show' which usually meant it was a helluva mess.

She also used to say 'He's a right noodle!' where did noodle come from it was well before the Chinese ones arrived? Answers please.

Our old boy used to say "Pippy Show" all the time to describe a **** up or complete waste of time,another favourite to mean the same thing "It will be like Fred Karnos!",I think that's the right spelling of the name!.

Fred Karno's - yep you got it right. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fred_Karno

The other similar saying my gran used to come out with is 'it's like Casey's Court'. As a kid I thought it was 'Casey's Coat' (as she pronounced it pronounced coo-hat) but since been told Casey was an judge in Ireland and gave rulings over animal ownership and the animals where often brought into the court. Hence Casey's Court lending itself to describe a messy chaotic situation. Don't know how right that is though.

---------- Post added 31-05-2014 at 16:37 ----------

Well this webpage says I've been misinformed about the origins of Casey's Court

http://news.bbc.co.uk/dna/place-lancashire/plain/A28505360

but funnily enough it has links with Fred Karno.

Another favourite saying from dear old dad"not",when some glamour girl would appear on telly was "She,s got legs like a cabhorse!".I must confess I still use it myself all these years later to my present wifes annoyance,oh well!.:thumbsup::hihi::hihi:

pippy show means not up to standard in bottom rooad talk

it means showing yourself up, either in what you are wearing or the crowd you want to knock about with etc.,

My family used it, and I still do, to mean an event which is a mess/not up to scratch/a disappointment/ridiculous or pretentious. It's a pity these old local phrases are falling out of use, they add such interest and humour to conversation.

I used the word "tranklements" the other day and my companion had never heard of it - bits and pieces (in my case, all the stuff in my handbag). Rammel (rubbish/trash) is another word which used to be often heard but is rare now.

I was reading a free newspaper in boston this weekend and there was a advert to remove builders brick rammel first time I have heard this for years.

I used the word ''fuddle'' to my neighbour. She didn't know what one was.

''Let's have a fuddle,''

It means a copious amount of something rather nice to eat.

''Let's have two choc ices instead of one'' a fuddle.

Two pieces of cake instead of one piece. etc.