Looking for a cheap wedding photographer

I'm surprised no pro togs have been on and tried the old chestnut "dont do it because even if you do it for a friend for nothing they will take you to court and sue your ass if they dont like the pics" :hihi:

Its all waivers, solicitors and public liability insurance and thats before they think about picking up a camera, in the world of the pro tog there is no such thing as favours or good deeds, its all cash, cash, cash, masses of elitism and more cash ;)

................................................................................

Edited by Twoflags
Post removed due to criticism and excessive abuse from users

And so it begins, this where you try to bog them down with public liability insurance, one of the main weapons that the pro tog illuminati have at their disposal :hihi:

By the time you factor in PLI for a working year it's about £3 pound per working day, I don't know why other togs pull the max on every job it just :loopy: to say insurance costs xxx amount when you're only using 1 days worth on that job.

wear and tear is the same it's about time togs woke up and stopped day dreaming prices out of thin air:roll:

---------- Post added 25-02-2014 at 19:30 ----------

Really boothybabe?

I'd suggest contacting a few of my clients. I'm quite happy to do favours and good deeds, where possible.

The fact of the matter regarding the price of "pro togs" is simple. Would you be willing to work 4 hours on the day, expenses associated plus all the post production and associated costs with delivering a finished product that you're putting your name and reputation to for LESS than minimum wage? On a continued basis?

Here's a quick example, of what I'm assuming the OP requires.

4 hours on the day. On average over that time period, 350 images.

So 350 images in post production at best an average of 15 minutes per photograph.

DVD price (pence admittedly)

Presentation case (£20)

Travel to purchase above 1 hour.

Travel delivering finished product.

So,

4 hour shoot

87.5 hours editing

1 hour travel

21.00 packaging

1 hour delivery.

The OP doesn't want to pay £650-£800, so from experience that's £300-£450

£450-£21= £429

£429/93.5 hours = 4.58p/h that's not counting expenses on the day AND assuming the OP is willing to pay £450.

Also factor in the OP is looking for a tog at the height of the wedding season, when most "pro togs" are taking full day

87.5hrs editing so what you're saying is you are not a Photographer then?

Edited by Beechwood_S6

By the time you factor in PLI for a working year it's about £3 pound per working day, I don't know why other togs pull the max on every job it just :loopy: to say insurance costs xxx amount when you're only using 1 days worth on that job.

wear and tear is the same it's about time togs woke up and stopped day dreaming prices out of thin air:roll:

Really boothybabe?

I'd suggest contacting a few of my clients. I'm quite happy to do favours and good deeds, where possible.

The fact of the matter regarding the price of "pro togs" is simple. Would you be willing to work 4 hours on the day, expenses associated plus all the post production and associated costs with delivering a finished product that you're putting your name and reputation to for LESS than minimum wage? On a continued basis?

Here's a quick example, of what I'm assuming the OP requires.

4 hours on the day. On average over that time period, 350 images.

So 350 images in post production at best an average of 15 minutes per photograph.

DVD price (pence admittedly)

Presentation case (£20)

Travel to purchase above 1 hour.

Travel delivering finished product.

So,

4 hour shoot

87.5 hours editing

1 hour travel

21.00 packaging

1 hour delivery.

The OP doesn't want to pay £650-£800, so from experience that's £300-£450

£450-£21= £429

£429/93.5 hours = 4.58p/h that's not counting expenses on the day AND assuming the OP is willing to pay £450.

Also factor in the OP is looking for a tog at the height of the wedding season, when most "pro togs" are taking full day

87.5hrs editing so what you're saying is you is not a Photographer then?

Mature attitude there.

What I'm saying is, I won't produce poor quality. Images that are not corrected, that contain chromatic aberrations that aren't colour and/or temperature balanced. Basically, a product I'm not proud of.

I just picked one first off the blocks on google, Sheffield area, basic package is JUST the disc with the pics on, £2100 :o

Mature attitude there.

What I'm saying is, I won't produce poor quality. Images that are not corrected, that contain chromatic aberrations that aren't colour and/or temperature balanced. Basically, a product I'm not proud of.

Very mature thanks, if you spend 4 hour snapping and need nearly 90hrs to edit then clearly your not a photographer more a slow toucher upper.

I crop colour balance temp balance at a rate of 1 pic a minute on average so I guess I'd spend 4 hours shooting and about 8 hours max editing. I've been pro for about 15 years and can't fathom wedding togs rates when we know it's really just magic figures being used.

Fashion shoots were I take around 1,000 images typical would take half a day to edit so still can't see how it would take you 10 days if you were doing 8hrs a day 80/8= 10

:confused: to say the least.

I just picked one first off the blocks on google, Sheffield area, basic package is JUST the disc with the pics on, £2100 :o

Full day? Half day? One photographer or two? Engagement shoot included? etc etc etc

LoL licence to print money I'm gonna have to look at costing a wedding honestly covering costs and see what it comes too.

Let's keep it polite please folks

Edited by Hook

Full day? Half day? One photographer or two? Engagement shoot included? etc etc etc

I'm not doubting the work needed, I have shot at weddings strictly as a friend whilst a pro has done their stuff and I have seen the work that can be involved just on site and not the editing that goes on afterwards, it can be exhausting I'm sure, I just find it hard to see how some of the prices can be justified, there is obviously some heart string tugging being used with the "one special day in your life that things have to be right" card.

---------- Post added 25-02-2014 at 19:59 ----------

LoL licence to print money I'm gonna have to look at costing a wedding honestly covering costs and see what it comes too.

Please do, it would be interesting to see :)

Very mature thanks, if you spend 4 hour snapping and need nearly 90hrs to edit then clearly your not a photographer more a slow toucher upper.

I crop colour balance temp balance at a rate of 1 pic a minute on average so I guess I'd spend 4 hours shooting and about 8 hours max editing. I've been pro for about 15 years and can't fathom wedding togs rates when we know it's really just magic figures being used.

Fashion shoots were I take around 1,000 images typical would take half a day to edit so still can't see how it would take you 10 days if you were doing 8hrs a day 80/8= 10

:confused: to say the least.

Or someone that takes pride in their work and gives their clients the attention they deserve.

I need not justify my timescales, nor am I saying I agree with the extremely excessive fees some photographers feel the need to charge. Not do I agree with those that charge fees that are far too low that you cannot compete.

Add to the fact that wedding photography, is primarily, seasonal work. If said tog focuses ('scuse the pun) solely on weddings, then that's where their revenue source stems from. Rightly or wrongly.

It's swings and roundabouts, overly expensive does not necessarily mean better quality in the same way that overly cheap doesn't.

I'm not doubting the work needed, I have shot at weddings strictly as a friend whilst a pro has done their stuff and I have seen the work that can be involved just on site and not the editing that goes on afterwards, it can be exhausting I'm sure, I just find it hard to see how some of the prices can be justified, there is obviously some heart string tugging being used with the "one special day in your life that things have to be right" card.

---------- Post added 25-02-2014 at 19:59 ----------

Please do, it would be interesting to see :)

I'll do the costings based on proper expenditure and costing such as business rates and insurance wear tear etc so give me a hour :) and I'll see what I could do a viable wedding price for.