World Cup workers dying in their hundreds

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2014/feb/18/qatar-world-cup-india-migrant-worker-deaths

Foreign workers building in Qatar for this year's World Cup are dying in droves. Many being forced to work in awful conditions.

Will any of us boycott the football because of this? To my shame I don't think I will but I feel terrible about this.

Will anybody out there take a stand and try and do something? Should FIFA and our FA do / say something about this? Any thoughts?

No

Only if Fifa are embarassed enough. Fifa are one of the problems in the first place. Silly place to hold it.

I am not sure whether the death rate is higher on the world cup project as other construction projects in Qatar.

Forced how?

But no, I will still watch. I love the World Cup, and my watching or not watching won't have any impact on anything other than to ruin my own entertainment.

I'm not knocking you, Epic, 'cos I'll be watching it too. They're 'forced' because their passports have been removed from them and they're indentured labourers.

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2014/feb/18/qatar-world-cup-india-migrant-worker-deaths

Foreign workers building in Qatar for this year's World Cup are dying in droves. Many being forced to work in awful conditions.

Will any of us boycott the football because of this? To my shame I don't think I will but I feel terrible about this.

Will anybody out there take a stand and try and do something? Should FIFA and our FA do / say something about this? Any thoughts?

This years world cup is in Brazil isn't it?

This years world cup is in Brazil isn't it?

Oops. My mistake. In 2018. Is that right?

Oops. My mistake. In 2018. Is that right?

2022 I think.

I will not be watching, if it does in fact take place. I still think it will end up being somewhere else, probably in the USA.

The west does not value foreigners, especially when dealing with an energy rich state, as they are protected from adverse media interests, by a corporate umbrella of silence.

Slavery, death abuse, robbery, torture is acceptable in client states, states that buy weapons, I mean defense equipment from their overlord, at suitably inflated, but mutually agreed prices. Extraction of homage through cash allows may privileges, but there is a fie line as Saddam ad Libya proved, as the overlord can turn against friends if they get a bit uppity, like having ideas of their own.

But even if the death toll is over a thousand, and the casualty rate much more, who cares they are poor people, and like poor people in the UK, should expect abuse, because they are of insect status, and insects have no real value.

Exploitation is fine if one is part of the club, as the members support one another, in the money merry-go-round, run by the overlord. So why bother, enjoy the football, that what its all about, where the players are equally like the workers, pawns in a game, but pawns with added value.

Erebus - I'm reading that wearing an imaginary cape twirling an imaginary moustache.