South Sea becomes a free house

South sea

Thanks for your positive comment Andy. It may be a good idea to do a poll on what people like as it seems like their are a variety of opinions on the real ale subject and is a lot to take in, but your views are very much appreciated. Thank you and keep them coming.

I second suggestions something like Deception is the best bet for a permanent beer - Sheffield definitely favours pale & hoppyish over 'traditional' brown twiggy beers. Mild has a following but I'd question if it's enough to sustain permanent mild pump. And obviously make sure you can shift a barrel in 3 days before adding a second beer (don't mean to be patronising, but I can think of another music venue in Sheffield which has 4 or 5 beers on, all in terrible condition...).

anyway, is there a gig list? came to see a couple of metal bands a couple of years ago, good gig but nowt worth drinking, hopefully that will be sorted next time I'm in!

• 2 weeks later...

First and last time I went in before xmas and wasn't impressed guys.

Compared to other pubs in the area, the South Sea is too run down, painted black with no heating on when it was freezing. The staff didn't appear to be dressed in professional manner associated with an establishment wanting to put out quality beer and music. Doesn't look good when everyone's dressed in 80's rock gear and the barman has no teeth apart from his thangs.

The place needs redecorating and brightening up. If you want it dark for the bands, turn the lights out. When the lights are up, you want the environment to be warm and welcoming not dark and dreary. Let the Corp do that.

Staff can still be rockers but dress in a smart black shirt with the pub log on it rather than rock shirt and nappy pins hanging from there faces. It all sends out the image that you only do one genre of music, when of course you do many types.

Just have a walk round the village and see what other pubs are doing to attract customer. The time I went, every pub was packed, but the South Sea just had friends and family watching the performers, no passing trade.

Infact, have a look at live music venues like Delaney's. He's off the beaten track by a long way, but always has a pub full on each band/jam night.

Firstly, I am not going to try giving you excuses for your experience other than say that its obvious that what we are doing is not pleasing you, so much that you decide to throw such, on a thread, which was talking about the South Sea being a free house and what beer to consider and until you came was a pleasant experience for me.... Fair enough.

Go to http://www.facebook.com/southsealive and read the 150 reviews that we have had and then you may come to the realisation that the audience we are aiming for are not the type of people who are looking for a traditional pub.

This is an alternative establishment but for the people that might drink real ale and like live music at the South Sea...we want to have the right to be able to consider providing ale and listen to peoples knowledge on the matter without some "know it all" to come along and get all frisky and use the real ale chat as an opportunity to attack our independence on several levels eh??

Im so glad we live in a country where we are, to a certain extent "free" cos I wouldn't like to live in a world where you was in charge lol.

Anyhow...Responding to your obviously attack, I have got to express that the bitter and venomous tone makes me wonder what your intent is, as this seemingly isn't a normal response and certainly not impartial to say the least, and especially on a public forum which could damage some peoples perception of what the South Sea is all about.

So just for the sake of "rollwithit" which incidentally is quite a funny name for such a micro fascist critique lol....I will put in capital letters what we are about.

200 CAPACITY LIVE MUSIC, ALTERNATIVE, INDEPENDENT UNIQUE VENUE.

P.S. Is not for the faint hearted, narrow minded or anyone who thinks we are trying to be a traditional, cozy, warm, bright, uniformed, happy people around the fire place singalong kind of thing ;)

Just go somewhere else if that's the case and get over it.

By the way count Dracula doesn't work here and hasn't done since November. But I will forward your remarks and im sure he will think your a nice person.

SORRY BUT I CANT TAKE YOU SERIOUSLY so im not going to explain to one who just doesn't get what we are....which is "ALTERNATIVE"

Thanks for the insight into a wonderful mind.

That's what makes the world go round. (don't take that literally).

Firstly, I am not going to try giving you excuses for your experience other than say that its obvious that what we are doing is not pleasing you, so much that you decide to throw such, on a thread, which was talking about the South Sea being a free house and what beer to consider and until you came was a pleasant experience for me.... Fair enough.

Go to http://www.facebook.com/southsealive and read the 150 reviews that we have had and then you may come to the realisation that the audience we are aiming for are not the type of people who are looking for a traditional pub.

This is an alternative establishment but for the people that might drink real ale and like live music at the South Sea...we want to have the right to be able to consider providing ale and listen to peoples knowledge on the matter without some "know it all" to come along and get all frisky and use the real ale chat as an opportunity to attack our independence on several levels eh??

Im so glad we live in a country where we are, to a certain extent "free" cos I wouldn't like to live in a world where you was in charge lol.

Anyhow...Responding to your obviously attack, I have got to express that the bitter and venomous tone makes me wonder what your intent is, as this seemingly isn't a normal response and certainly not impartial to say the least, and especially on a public forum which could damage some peoples perception of what the South Sea is all about.

So just for the sake of "rollwithit" which incidentally is quite a funny name for such a micro fascist critique lol....I will put in capital letters what we are about.

200 CAPACITY LIVE MUSIC, ALTERNATIVE, INDEPENDENT UNIQUE VENUE.

P.S. Is not for the faint hearted, narrow minded or anyone who thinks we are trying to be a traditional, cozy, warm, bright, uniformed, happy people around the fire place singalong kind of thing ;)

Just go somewhere else if that's the case and get over it.

By the way count Dracula doesn't work here and hasn't done since November. But I will forward your remarks and im sure he will think your a nice person.

SORRY BUT I CANT TAKE YOU SERIOUSLY so im not going to explain to one who just doesn't get what we are....which is "ALTERNATIVE"

Thanks for the insight into a wonderful mind.

That's what makes the world go round. (don't take that literally).

Oh dear. If thats how you respond to constructive criticism, I cant see you lasting very long. Someone came in, place wasnt really for them, and they told you why. Nothing nasty, just suggestions on how you could improve the place. And you respond like that. Doesnt really make me want to come and give you my money, if Im honest, and I, and most of my mates, are big fans of both live music and good beer. Take my advice, lose the attitude, youll do a lot better for it.