Devastation in Greno Woods

I think all local people were quite relieved when the Wildlife Trust 'saved' Greno Woods, but did anybody realise in what way they'd change the woods?

To get rid of the pines and the firs, and re-introduce deciduous trees, they've absolutely desecrated the woods, making huge areas look like they've been hit by a hurricane.

To see what they've done have a look at this film made by a local group.

Surely there was no need to go as far as they have done.

The pines are grown as a crop. And harvested... Look up conservation management

To be fair the bit your film is in is actually a plantation.

The trees may well be 50 years old but they have very little ecological value.

Its a long term management plan that you yourself may not see the benefit of but in the future the site will be better off both ecologically and aesthetically.

I do live in Grenoside and I do walk in the woods quite often.

Edited by kayy

Its a long term management plan that you yourself may not see the benefit of but in the future the site will be better off both ecologically and aesthetically.

The next thing that will take place is the dogger's will move in and then things will get really filthy.:hihi:

---------- Post added 07-02-2014 at 22:09 ----------

The next thing that will happen is the dogger's will move in and then things will get really filthy.:hihi:

I'm sure they know what they're doing and it'll be worth it in the long run :)

cold be worse ,it could have loads of fridges dumped all over the edges like most woods . think your self lucky that they doing loads of hard work in there to make it better ,nice trails ,picnic benches and sign-age to help us all enjoy the woods !

cold be worse ,it could have loads of fridges dumped all over the edges like most woods . think your self lucky that they doing loads of hard work in there to make it better ,nice trails ,picnic benches and sign-age to help us all enjoy the woods !

There were nice trails, picnic benches and signage before they moved in.

And please don't compare it to the places where people fly-tip. Most 'proper' woods aren't like that. The ones where people dump stuff aren't in beauty spots like Greno and Wharncliffe Woods.

I remember once navigating in quite a remote spot, on the map was a forest where i needed to take a path to it's left, but the forest wasn't there. Turned out it was a commercial crop. Had me scratching my head for a few minutes i tell ya ! :D

They spent a long time developing the plans, communicating and consulting with the community.

Funny how people choose not to participate in their community and moan when things "surprise" them.

http://www.wildsheffield.com/nature-reserves/more-about-our-reserves/greno-woods

Edited by cgksheff

They spent a long time developing the plans, communicating and consulting with the community.

Funny how people choose not to participate in their community and moan when things "surprise" them.

http://www.wildsheffield.com/nature-reserves/more-about-our-reserves/greno-woods

I don't think that the people who use the woods regularly, whether they were involved in the consultation or not, were aware of how much disruption and devastation there would be.

We're not talking politics here, just ordinary people who walk in the woods every day of the week who are unhappy.

The horse riders are also unhappy because cycle tracks have been created which cross over existing bridle paths causing confrontational problems there.

Seems like a total shambles to me.

I don't think that the people who use the woods regularly, whether they were involved in the consultation or not, were aware of how much disruption and devastation there would be.

We're not talking politics here, just ordinary people who walk in the woods every day of the week who are unhappy.

The horse riders are also unhappy because cycle tracks have been created which cross over existing bridle paths causing confrontational problems there.

Seems like a total shambles to me.

What they're doing is explained here:

"Tree thinning and Extraction, winter 2013/14 *UPDATED Jan 2014 with amended plan*"

We have been felling (mainly conifer) trees to encourage future growth of native broadleaf species and improve the diversity of wildlife species in the woods....

...The work involves thinning mixed conifers and sweet chestnut (both non-native) within this area to favour oak and birch (both native).

Felling is due for completion mid-January with the site clear-up and reparations of paths taking place when conditions are dry enough after this.

We apologise for any disruption caused.

It's the same near me on Blackamoor. SWT are doing their very best to ruin the place. It was rewilding and with that trees were growing and wild red deer moved back. So what does the 'Wildlife' Trust do but chop down birch, spray the bracken (which provides cover for the young deer) and then to add insult to injury, puts cows on the moor. This led to them putting barbed wire fencing around the site, piles of cow **** everywhere and the cows turning paths into churned up sludge and slurry.

Wildlife? No. It's all amount money and the subsidies that having land that is managed (badly) can attract. If you want to know more I recommend this excellent blog and no it's not mine. http://theblackamoorsite.blogspot.co.uk/

If Blackamoor is anything to go by then you've worse to come in Greno Woods at the hands of SWT I'm afraid.