Houses decorated with lights around Sheffield.

Driving around the city, I've seen a few houses decorated with fairy lights. At first I presumed some people had still got their lights up late after Christmas. When I drove through Fir Vale the other evening, and saw so many, (and realised that so many were green in colour) I realised that it must be to celebrate Milad un Nabi (the Birthday of the Prophet Muhammad). I've never noticed this in previous years. The houses look lovely all decorated.

And your point of the lights are? Sorry i don't understand your thread.

Thanks for that information Mr Bloom, I didn't realise that was the reason for the lights, it is good to pass on facts like this using the forum, sorry that other users don't understand that.

Are these little green fairy lights? My neighbour was complaining about little fairy lights in sheffield as well. I have seen a mosque entrance covered in them.

Has this anything to do with islamic or indian culture?

I'm pleased you posted this too. I see green lights and green flags every year but have never known what it's for.

Are these little green fairy lights? My neighbour was complaining about little fairy lights in sheffield as well. I have seen a mosque entrance covered in them.

Has this anything to do with islamic or indian culture?

See below................

---------- Post added 25-01-2014 at 09:52 ----------

Driving around the city, I've seen a few houses decorated with fairy lights. At first I presumed some people had still got their lights up late after Christmas. When I drove through Fir Vale the other evening, and saw so many, (and realised that so many were green in colour) I realised that it must be to celebrate Milad un Nabi (the Birthday of the Prophet Muhammad). I've never noticed this in previous years. The houses look lovely all decorated.

See above...........................

Thank you very much to the posters who got the point and posted positive answers!

Sorry, to the others if I caused confusion. I just thought some other forummers might have been in the same position as me, and mistakenly thought they were late Christmas lights, and might have liked to know why there are lights up at the moment.

Some houses look like they are more bothered with Christmas than some other festival.

Why are people annoyed by them? What is the problem? Where does that annoyance come from?

I don't care if people have those lights, they are not making noise and are not directly interfering with what I am doing or where I go.

If these little lights are a problem then car traffic on the road is far more interfering than those little lights.

Edited by dutch

Ah, I'd been wondering about that as well. Thanks.

Ah, thanks for that :)

I work at NGH and have passed many lit up houses on my way into work over the last couple of weeks.

I asked one of my lovely patients what the green lights were but she wasn't too sure.

Why are people annoyed by them? What is the problem? Where does that annoyance come from?

I don't think people are annoyed, are they? I don't see anyone complaining on this thread.