OAP pass, getting out and about/potential cuts

oh go on , lets let the cat out of the bag , been informed today that times for passes are changing to 09.30 hours , also been told this will include mobility passes ....... bet the shirt off your back its true !!!

Looks like theres going to be changes to the ENCTS/Travelmaster tickets.

http://forum.sy-transport.co.uk/thread/18680/encts-travelmaster-changes

Well, from what I've heard the Senior/Disabled pass changes are being considered but nothing has been confirmed or announced publically.

To give background,the English National Travel Concession Scheme, which is funded by the government (or underfunded as some say..) offers free travel for Senior Citizens and qualifying disabled people on local bus services from 09:30-23:00 Monday to Friday and any time at weekend.

Anything beyond the above is discretionary and funded locally.

South Yorkshire Passenger Transport Executive is facing even more funding cuts, they have already cut their staff numbers, increased child fares, reduced information centre opening hours but still need to find more savings.

Therefore they are looking at cutting funding for the discretionary extras currently enjoyed by South Yorkshire residents holding these passes. The discretionary extras are:

Senior Citizens travelling between 09:00 and 09:30

Disabled people travelling before 09:30

pass holders travelling after 23:00

pass holders travelling by train.

pass holders travelling by tram.

The travel by tram isn't currently proposed for withdrawal as although the national scheme does not include tram travel, there is a local quirk at play because for some reason Supertram is treated the same as bus operators in certain respects.

....... dya want a little bet ? .......... I trust my source 100% ,it WILL happen believe me !

When would these proposed changes kick in? (Can't access the document in the link).

When would these proposed changes kick in? (Can't access the document in the link).

The document says:

The present agreements expire at the end of March 2014 and SYPTE

is engaged in negotiations with operators to conclude new agreements.

An old car would be a lot faster and cheaper than public transport. I don't have the freedom to choose for that better option any longer and would hate to pay more money for a journey that takes me 45 minutes while a cheap old car does it in 5 minutes for the same price.

Therefore they are looking at cutting funding for the discretionary extras currently enjoyed by South Yorkshire residents holding these passes. The discretionary extras are:

Senior Citizens travelling between 09:00 and 09:30

Disabled people travelling before 09:30

pass holders travelling after 23:00

pass holders travelling by train.

pass holders travelling by tram.

The people groups that are likely to vote in local elections - councillors who backing cuts to them are just about to make themselves unelectable.

Perhaps child fares could be a 50% discount on adult bus fares like it is for the trains (and most buses elsewhere). And what about having the child discount on SYPTE-set rail fares being a third rather than a half?

The people groups that are likely to vote in local elections - councillors who backing cuts to them are just about to make themselves unelectable.

Perhaps child fares could be a 50% discount on adult bus fares like it is for the trains (and most buses elsewhere). And what about having the child discount on SYPTE-set rail fares being a third rather than a half?

Unfortunately it is the government imposing funding cuts on SYPTE, not local councillors. the SYITA and SYPTE together just have to decide where to make the savings.

Basically for the scale of savings required, alongside the further redundancies being made amongst their staff, it is only a choice of two options

- remove the optional extras from the concessionary travel schemes

- axe all tendered bus services (including rural services, some evening services, most school buses and some community transport).

Unfortunately it is the government imposing funding cuts on SYPTE, not local councillors. the SYITA and SYPTE together just have to decide where to make the savings.

SYITA is chaired by Cllr Mick Jameson - who is very much a local councillor. And according to the recent press release (http://www.sypte.co.uk/media.aspx?id=3788) the "proposed cutbacks, are due to be considered next week by councillors". I think it will be the local councillors who must take the blame when it comes to the ballot box.

Edited by CheekyBandit

Those who have current ENCTS free bus passes issued in SY are lucky.

People who are currently 58 or younger will not get any ENCTS free bus travel until they are 66.

They will still be able to buy the current discount cards at 60 for rail and National Express as they are purely commercial. Other rail companies have offers for over 55s

Sadly children will have to pay more as the SYPTE cannot subsidies them any longer and the rate will become set by the operators in four years. SY children currently have one of the cheapest rates outside London.

Local councillors have a say in levels of subsidy for:

-rural- early morning - off peak- mobility- child fares- trains in SY- 9 to 9:30 use by SY issued in ENCTS but the money available from Government is shrinking. Which group is most is most deserving?

I use mine on a regular basis all over England including the I o Wight. The only difference outside S Yorks is the time you can use it in the morning. Any time Sat and Sun

An old car would be a lot faster and cheaper than public transport. I don't have the freedom to choose for that better option any longer and would hate to pay more money for a journey that takes me 45 minutes while a cheap old car does it in 5 minutes for the same price.

Some of us don't have the luxury of driving. Some of us are reliant on bus and tram services.