Aria hair stall meadowhall refund issue

Ok before I explain, I'm not proud of myself for falling for this and I don't usually find myself in a situation like this but I need some advice please.

I was shopping in meadowhall last night and wanted to buy some hair curlers from Argos, on the way I got asked to have a demonstration from one of the gentleman at the hair stall. He curled my hair, gave me the hard sell, even dropping the price from £160 to £90 within minutes (tell me your a student and you have student discount)

So I bought them on the understanding that the hair curler also came with a European plug adapter so I could use them on holiday. My partner even asked the returns policy if we wanted to return them. Salesman stated no problem just bring them back within 14 days.

Anyway bought them took them home, no European adapter and the receipt (stupid of us I know) states NO REFUNDS exchanges only within 14 days! We didn't read the receipt as the salesman kept us chatting about the product and generally giving us the sales patter.

Yes I feel stupid and I'm not normally so taken in. But I feel that this is also a case of verbal mis-representation of the product. I feel taken for a fool and £90 less well off. Any advice? I don't trust the company anymore I just want my money back. Have I got an argument?

Many thanks

If you explicitly stated, and you have evidence/a witness that they are for use in Europe then surely they are unfit for purpose, on which basis you would be entitled to a full refund.

Sorry I mean they have a plug that I can use for the uk but no adapter that I could use for say Spain

They're very cheap to buy, which is the easy and obvious solution. :)

I know but I generally feel that if I'm told a product includes something then I expect it to, also I feel been told I could get a refund then reading something later that I couldn't is miss-selling. I'm sorry I sound irate but I'm genuinely gutted I feel cheated out of my money and I don't trust the company now I just want my money back if I just went to Argos then I'd at least feel like I'm covered if anything goes wrong

I know but I generally feel that if I'm told a product includes something then I expect it to, also I feel been told I could get a refund then reading something later that I couldn't is miss-selling. I'm sorry I sound irate but I'm genuinely gutted I feel cheated out of my money and I don't trust the company now I just want my money back if I just went to Argos then I'd at least feel like I'm covered if anything goes wrong

Sorry to be blunt here, someone will ask so it may as well be me.

Are you just using this as an excuse to get a refund ? As bar £2 for the adaptor there's no real problem, if you're otherwise happy with the product. :)

Yes I agree that a £2 adapter would solve that issue. However been told I could get a refund then finding in the small print that what I was told isn't true doesn't exactly make you feel you can trust a company does it? My original question was do I have an argument for miss-selling after been told that the product included these things then not actually receiving them?

Yes I agree that a £2 adapter would solve that issue. However been told I could get a refund then finding in the small print that what I was told isn't true doesn't exactly make you feel you can trust a company does it? My original question was do I have an argument for miss-selling after been told that the product included these things then not actually receiving them?

You only have an argument if you can prove you were given that assurance, which is why i already asked the question.

Also, i'm not sure why it matters that you have trust in the company, it's only a single purchase and you aren't compelled to shop there again.

I'm not meaning to pee you off here, just short cutting to points that will be raised at some point.

Just buy the adapter man.

I can't see the company believing you, I have sold stuff in the past where I have explicitly stated 'no refunds' yet the customer has tried to return it claiming they weren't told.

The sad fact is when money is involved, people lie to try and get it back...so the company just follows what it says on the receipt.

I'm not saying you are, but others do.

Edited by Super Hans

In general, if the goods you buy aren't faulty, do you have a right to a refund if you return them?

Stand at the stall and every time a customer comes along tell them that they lied to you and will say anything to get a sale, and that the same products are much cheaper on eBay. If they start losing sales they might do it to get rid of you.

Are you happy with the product generally, and only really considering returning it because it has no adapter? As posted above you can buy one of those very cheaply!

Is there anything else wrong other than that? Would you be keeping it otherwise? The price you paid does seem a bit steep though, what sort of curling product is it??

I'm not sure what the general rule is on returning hair styling products for a refund unless they have a fault - but even Argos have a no refunds policy on items like curlers and straighteners.

Posted from Sheffieldforum.co.uk App for Android