The New Moor Market

I asked Turners why they needed 2 units and they said that one serves sandwiches and the other serves baked goods.

I said why they didn't just have one big unit to do all together and they said the boss wanted 2 separate ones, don't get their thinking.

Just a brainstorming idea. Wouldn't it be cool if there is also wi fi in the market? So that it invites more people to sit in those cafe places in the market, and actually also invite a mixture of various different people and cater for all too. Cos there are quite a lot of nice cafes there and so forth. I mean, call it sustainabilities... Lots of coffee shops have folded already in the city centre, and having another one really caters for the other end of town as well.

I also noticed that many pubs and Wetherspoons are also changing too from hardcore drinking places to a more genteel coffee place. We said that this would happen, and people wanted this for the city any way instead of binge drinking til you die and bw absolutely rowdy, and now there are more choices than your typical Starbucks chain. This is a good sign !

It would be nice to have people who are true foodies though and not give mediocre things. It gives it that bit of credibilities as well...

I went to the new market for the first time today and was amazed at the number of empty, unoccupied units, one of which I would love to set up but have been told that the waiting list is too long.

After leaving the city centre I had my haircut in Hillsborough and the market came up in conversation. According to my self employed stylist the rents on the market units are scarily high and the new butchers next to Barkers Pool (prime central location) is operated at a lower rent rate than the scabby market at the bottom of town in what has always been a dump of an area. Nice one Sheffield council.

Hi Tigersoul. Well I don't know what the heck the council is playing at because today on Twitter they appealing for people to take stalls ?

Hi Tigersoul. Well I don't know what the heck the council is playing at because today on Twitter they appealing for people to take stalls ?

A friend wanted a stall for her Mexican food but then got rejected. I have no idea who she contacted and what "criteria" were set up then. It is obvious that SCC wants diversity... and it is not that every meat, fruit and veg stall owners were taken up either. That is the thing !

To me, the council work for the citizens, and not the citizens working for the council. So they should explain the rationale behind their decisions.

Plus also, if they know that a lot of people prefer certain stalls, and that they are making use of the stalls, then they should listen to the local constituents on what they want from their own city cos afterall, it is their tax that is contributing to the wealth of this city !

I am also like my friends too, we are 9-5 workers, and we want to cook from fresh and we want to cook from scratch. I do not want prepacked and reshipped and resold junk. Stop that ! Give me FRESH goods. Give me LOCAL goods. From the Peak District. From the local rivers in the Peak. From the great sustainable environments that we have. Work with local landowners, turn them into farms. Turn them into a source for create good food.

People can have cats and dogs and they love them, but why don't they also love cows, sheeps, and look after farm animals that one day, it can also contribute to the health of a child, or a family, and give something back to the community ?? :suspect:

A friend wanted a stall for her Mexican food but then got rejected. I have no idea who she contacted and what "criteria" were set up then. It is obvious that SCC wants diversity... and it is not that every meat, fruit and veg stall owners were taken up either. That is the thing !

To me, the council work for the citizens, and not the citizens working for the council. So they should explain the rationale behind their decisions.

Plus also, if they know that a lot of people prefer certain stalls, and that they are making use of the stalls, then they should listen to the local constituents on what they want from their own city cos afterall, it is their tax that is contributing to the wealth of this city !

I am also like my friends too, we are 9-5 workers, and we want to cook from fresh and we want to cook from scratch. I do not want prepacked and reshipped and resold junk. Stop that ! Give me FRESH goods. Give me LOCAL goods. From the Peak District. From the local rivers in the Peak. From the great sustainable environments that we have. Work with local landowners, turn them into farms. Turn them into a source for create good food.

People can have cats and dogs and they love them, but why don't they also love cows, sheeps, and look after farm animals that one day, it can also contribute to the health of a child, or a family, and give something back to the community ?? :suspect:

Diversity is great but when did Sheffield have that, bargains galore and pound shop heaven more like :hihi:

Diversity is great but when did Sheffield have that, bargains galore and pound shop heaven more like :hihi:

It is never about racial diversity. It is about GOOD food ! It is strange that some people say that we have great bread, but in actual fact, if you notice that even Fletchers bread has decline in standard slowly over the years. That is what I mean. I can also say with hands on my heart, a McDonald's burger when I was a child was made from REAL meat. Not your prepackaged nutritionally removed junk crap that is made mass bulk from a factory from god knows where and fed to my mouth. Then with added "flavourings" on top to mimic real meat and real burnt flavoured meat.

THIS is why I would definitely challenge the market to exist. I want it to exist. I know how big corporate works now. If they indeed produce good food, then I do not mind, but if I know that they are feeding me less than nutritionally good value food, then why should I not complain about this ? I know that not all chains work like this but those who started en-mass and bulk up have got their priorities wrong. If those employees do not feed their own children McDonalds and that they work in McDonalds, then don't support such entities.

Sometimes I like to think that I am healthy, but no, I ate worst than a man in one of those tribes in Africa. Cos at least they are getting proper REAL protein and none of this fake crap and regurgitated goods which we call "healthy". Why are we like this and have become like this kind of people? Cos we believe in the crap and actually is not even mindful of what we are doing any more. We are so detached from what we feed into our own stomach.

Call me stingy, I do not see class system into play at all... It is funny how "artisan" bread is now considered as "snobbish" bread. Sorry, but bread when I was growing up came from an actual baker who knows how to bake and is decent about his craft and not the bottomline. I am championing for myself and also for the next generation as well.

My mother worked in blue collar jobs and she ate well and was great in health. Whereas by now in my generation, I can earn more, but I eat so badly ? Where is the world coming to ??? No way ! I definitely will challenge stereotypes and those who pigeon hole me for being snobbish on real food.

Sorry there, I know you did not mean to pick this bone with me, but.... I read some of the comments here on this thread and it is going about things the wrong way round. Seriously now. :hihi:

I went on Saturday. Thought it was 'okay' if a little bit small.

I was speaking to a fish monger and he said the building fails on a number of small yet important issues:

there are no exit signs. Folk struggle to find their way out (his words not mine);

the toilets are not sign-posted (ditto); &

there is no cash machine inside the building. (Yes, there are plenty outside.)

I thought there were one or two bottle-necks, and it wasn't particularly busy when I went but busy enough for it to be a squeeze in certain places.

However, it was a pleasant change to find myself shopping at the bottom end of the Moor, something I haven't done in what, 25 years? My family visited Decathlon, Staples, Moor Market, Sainsbury, Atkinson's and a couple of other businesses.

It's a positive start.

It is never about racial diversity. It is about GOOD food ! It is strange that some people say that we have great bread, but in actual fact, if you notice that even Fletchers bread has decline in standard slowly over the years. That is what I mean. I can also say with hands on my heart, a McDonald's burger when I was a child was made from REAL meat. Not your prepackaged nutritionally removed junk crap that is made mass bulk from a factory from god knows where and fed to my mouth. Then with added "flavourings" on top to mimic real meat and real burnt flavoured meat.

THIS is why I would definitely challenge the market to exist. I want it to exist. I know how big corporate works now. If they indeed produce good food, then I do not mind, but if I know that they are feeding me less than nutritionally good value food, then why should I not complain about this ? I know that not all chains work like this but those who started en-mass and bulk up have got their priorities wrong. If those employees do not feed their own children McDonalds and that they work in McDonalds, then don't support such entities.

Sometimes I like to think that I am healthy, but no, I ate worst than a man in one of those tribes in Africa. Cos at least they are getting proper REAL protein and none of this fake crap and regurgitated goods which we call "healthy". Why are we like this and have become like this kind of people? Cos we believe in the crap and actually is not even mindful of what we are doing any more. We are so detached from what we feed into our own stomach.

Call me stingy, I do not see class system into play at all... It is funny how "artisan" bread is now considered as "snobbish" bread. Sorry, but bread when I was growing up came from an actual baker who knows how to bake and is decent about his craft and not the bottomline. I am championing for myself and also for the next generation as well.

My mother worked in blue collar jobs and she ate well and was great in health. Whereas by now in my generation, I can earn more, but I eat so badly ? Where is the world coming to ??? No way ! I definitely will challenge stereotypes and those who pigeon hole me for being snobbish on real food.

Sorry there, I know you did not mean to pick this bone with me, but.... I read some of the comments here on this thread and it is going about things the wrong way round. Seriously now. :hihi:

I have to agree with all you have said about food standards. I am always amazed when we visit Australia how good the basic food is. It's like it used to be here years ago.We couldn't believe the difference. A few years ago I worked with a bloke from a village in Zimbabwe and he kept saying how rubbish the food was here compared to that in his village. The first time we went to Queensland I was pleased because up until then I thought it was me loosing my taste for things over time.

Well said. You know they spray cheese from cans onto crackers in America? That's where we're headed when the supermarkets take over completely, like they did there. Wont be able to buy any fresh food, it'll all be made out of plastic & come in cans or boxes.