Expectations of an apprentice

Hi

I have recently had a young lad call me to see if I would consider taking him on as an apprentice, and as I am thinking about it I said I would give him a trail run. I am a decorator and I have been thinking about taking on another lad after my present apprentice has finished time in the summer.

So agreed to give this lad a go after checking out his CV and referees. His first two days where really difficult for him to show me his abilities ( he had a bit of experience and was going to college ) but certain things showed through like his body language looked like he was uninterested I brought this to his attention several times I let it go because the job was not really suited for a lad with little experience.

His real trail began the following week, which he was late in the morning for i may add, he had to start stripping walls and ceilings this he struggled with immensely, he had to be told several times to stop sitting down on the step up. Eventually the step up had to taken away from him. His body language again just showed he was not interested he was just going through the motions. Even after encouragement he never really made an effort expected for someone wanting to convince a likely employer. And on the way home he mentioned to one of the other lads " I don't fancy doing that again "

I decided that he didn't have what I was looking for and the trail period was over, he was extremely shocked and upset even after I had explained the obvious issues I had.

I then had his father on the phone fighting his corner as he is expected to do so, said he had aspergers and would I consider giving him a second chance and he would talk to him. So agreed, so the next day he was late AGAIN, there was an improvement in his attitude and performance but nothing to inspire me to take him on. And after questioning performance the other day he admitted he thought he had the job so he didn't have to make the effort.

I am now getting phone calls from his dad and other members of his family asking to sort out his money he finished on Friday and it is only a day that he has gone without payment.

The point I want to get across to anyone wanting a trade it is very hard work a lot of the time rubbish work for £2.86 an hour. But they go to college get their qualifications and learn a trade for the rest of their life. The opportunity to have their own business. It is all long term and not a quick fix to get a bit cash for the weekend. It takes a strong character to do the hard graft expected form an apprentice.

Before the people in this forum criticise me because the lad has aspergers I have it too and so does my son so I understand the issues and have taken them all into consideration.

At the end of the day, you take some one on to be of use to you. Time spent telling him to get off his arse and make an effort is time you could have spent doing other things. I had a job from 14 and I don't think I ever arrived late once and if I had my parents would have given me an ear full! Not all kids needs a kick up the arse but some do! Don't feel bad give it to some 1 who really wants it

You just have to remember you are a business and not a charity and don't feel guilty. I empathise with you. I had an A* apprentice that lasted 4 weeks and didn't work half of that. They can have all the A* in the world but if they lack interest and initiative they are not going to do well in the job. College seems to overlook the personal requirements as part of educating and mentoring an apprentice. I know a lot of people who have tried taking on apprentices only to find it a complete waste of their time. I would want paying if someone wanted me to take on an apprentice, not me pay them for diddly squat.

Yes its really difficult, i've just set my lad on as an electrical apprentice. First few weeks were a nightmare, him making me late but a couple of bollokings sorted that bit out. You need eyes in the back of your head and it usually slows the job up because i'm not doing what i normally would but having to show my son. Things are just getting a bit better and i'm sure come the new year i might see the benefits. To be honest if he was 'nt my son i might have let him go and set someone on with a bit of experience. The money side his reall y difficult for me i give him £25 - £30 a day depending on what i've earnt. He goes to college 1 day so i usually give him £110 a week but i'm not really earning anymore.

You have made your point very clearly. It's over now and time to find someone who

actually wants to learn and get a job.

Remember, todays youngsters have been raised differently to your generation, with different experiences etc.

The thing is, the government are pushing apprenticeships to the point where it is financially very attractive for employers to take on a youngster. Employers are getting almost free labour. This is a good thing but at the end of the day you have a business to run.

When I started my training, I used to ask if I could go in on Saturdays to learn stuff there wasn't time to do on the course, I was borrowing books off anyone who would lend to me (no google or youtube), and asking the qualified staff to show me how to do things.

All this because my parents had lived through tough times and had given me a work

ethic to make sure I got on in life.

One of my lads is doing an apprenticeship, his boss has to ring me sometimes because he has been lippy or bolshy, but the boss always tells me what a grafter he is and how hard he works. He is never late, if he overlays he gets a taxi which takes what little money he gets, and often goes in early or stays late if they are busy.

He will get on in life.

My other lad is full of good intentions but bone idle, can't be bothered, thinks the world owes him a living, and there are more like him nowadays.

Keep looking and you will find the right apprentice, someone who is an asset to your firm, and will make you lots of money.

I don't receive any government funding just the grants from the CITB I think that is the issue lads think that is what happens and the money I receive barely covers their days at college which their are paid.

I have recently been threatened by the lads father because I didn't set him on. If that is what his parents are like I know I have made the right decision

What you paid him while he was on day release?

If they are on an apprenticeship programme you have to pay them when they are on day release to college.

The national apprentice wage is £2.68 an hour for their first year then goes up to under £5.00 an hour for the second year. And you do pay them for when they go to college the grants go towards those days but doesn't cover it all. So you need to find the right lad.

The national apprentice wage is £2.68 an hour for their first year then goes up to under £5.00 an hour for the second year. And you do pay them for when they go to college the grants go towards those days but doesn't cover it all. So you need to find the right lad.

Not totally correct. It is £2.68 for the first year if they apprentice is under 19. If over 19 and after first year it goes to the national minimum wage for their age. That:

21+ - £6.31

18-20 - £5.03

16-18 - £3.72

Hi

I have recently had a young lad call me to see if I would consider taking him on as an apprentice, and as I am thinking about it I said I would give him a trail run. I am a decorator and I have been thinking about taking on another lad after my present apprentice has finished time in the summer.

So agreed to give this lad a go after checking out his CV and referees. His first two days where really difficult for him to show me his abilities ( he had a bit of experience and was going to college ) but certain things showed through like his body language looked like he was uninterested I brought this to his attention several times I let it go because the job was not really suited for a lad with little experience.

His real trail began the following week, which he was late in the morning for i may add, he had to start stripping walls and ceilings this he struggled with immensely, he had to be told several times to stop sitting down on the step up. Eventually the step up had to taken away from him. His body language again just showed he was not interested he was just going through the motions. Even after encouragement he never really made an effort expected for someone wanting to convince a likely employer. And on the way home he mentioned to one of the other lads " I don't fancy doing that again "

I decided that he didn't have what I was looking for and the trail period was over, he was extremely shocked and upset even after I had explained the obvious issues I had.

I then had his father on the phone fighting his corner as he is expected to do so, said he had aspergers and would I consider giving him a second chance and he would talk to him. So agreed, so the next day he was late AGAIN, there was an improvement in his attitude and performance but nothing to inspire me to take him on. And after questioning performance the other day he admitted he thought he had the job so he didn't have to make the effort.

I am now getting phone calls from his dad and other members of his family asking to sort out his money he finished on Friday and it is only a day that he has gone without payment.

The point I want to get across to anyone wanting a trade it is very hard work a lot of the time rubbish work for £2.86 an hour. But they go to college get their qualifications and learn a trade for the rest of their life. The opportunity to have their own business. It is all long term and not a quick fix to get a bit cash for the weekend. It takes a strong character to do the hard graft expected form an apprentice.

Before the people in this forum criticise me because the lad has aspergers I have it too and so does my son so I understand the issues and have taken them all into consideration.

First off all, well done for giving him the opportunity and I am sorry it has not worked out for you.

Don't give up on the apprenticeship program, but I would recommend you go through a recommended provider (such as Lifeskills) as they will work with you to make sure the apprenticeship works both for you and the apprentice.

Good luck in the future.

Not totally correct. It is £2.68 for the first year if they apprentice is under 19. If over 19 and after first year it goes to the national minimum wage for their age. That:

21+ - £6.31

18-20 - £5.03

16-18 - £3.72

Thanks for that that is very helpful to know