History of Laycocks

I was so sorry to hear that one of my old mates in the Cutter Grinders at Archer Road Harold Broadhirst died recently..

He was a guy who though life dealt him a cruel blow at birth was always the same and lived life to the full....

hiya grinder, I am sorry to hear of harolds passing he was as you say always the same, I had known him all my life long before laycocks he lived two streets away from me when I was growing up he lived on egerton lane I lived on bath st.

---------- Post added 06-06-2014 at 21:06 ----------

I was at Laycock's 1977 -1988 and worked at Jacob's manufacturing from 1989 - 2002 (When the Sheffield site closed). Jacobs Manufacturing was under the ownership of the Danaher Corporation back then and Danaher moved production to it's Suzhou factory in China which was built in the mid 90s.

hiya, I was at laycocks for 24 years and remember some that were set on like the one who started on nights as a labourer no one saw him after 10 o'clock it was benny abbot who found him he was fast a sleep in the toilets his excuse was it was his first time on shifts and he was tired, another worked two or three nights and nobody had any record of a new starter, until he said "this is guilee's int'it

Hi,

My father in law Christopher Sanderson was an apprentice at Laycocks, Archer Road, Sheffield in 1966 (16 at the time) just wondered if anyone can remember him or worked with him !:) H

I wonder if you know that there is a topic on Laycocks in the History & Expats section with several pages about the firm and people who worked there. I was there in the 60s in the electronics dept.

Hi, yeah I have had a quick look, he worked on the shop floor....

Go ask on the existing thread instead. The reason is that when you post on a thread you are automatically added for email notices when there's a new post on the thread, so if you post on that then those that have already posted there will get notified and you're more likely to get replies.

Hi,

My father in law Christopher Sanderson was an apprentice at Laycocks, Archer Road, Sheffield in 1966 (16 at the time) just wondered if anyone can remember him or worked with him ! H

---------- Post added 19-06-2014 at 22:28 ----------

Thankyou, new to this....

what's going to happen to the derelict building on Suffolk road next to railway station its been like that for some 30 years or so it may even be listed by now what will they do with it

what's going to happen to the derelict building on Suffolk road next to railway station its been like that for some 30 years or so it may even be listed by now what will they do with it

It has indeed been derelict for a long time, it is not the Laycocks that this thread is about though, this thread is referring to Laycock Engineering which had sites in the Archer Road Millhouses area and Little London Road at Heeley.

All my family worked at Laycocks between 1942 and until it was taken over by LUK. Mr Grandad was Colin Wragg (Overdrive) his wife was Lucy Wragg Nee Stocks who worked at Hardy Pick, my Great uncle Ray Wragg. My mum Linda Pickering Nee Wragg, my dad Dennis Pickering, my step mum Jackie McKay. My uncle Andy Wragg, still works (kind of) at LUK as an inspector. Colin Wragg died in September 2005, but all of the names mentioned on here an known by myself. By coincidence I had my 40th birthday party at the Laycocks club and was attended by many of the offspring of ex Laycocks employees, including Malcolm Bramley, Frank Copley Dunn and Alan Morewood.

Hi Johnpick

Will Dennis be attending Laycocks reunion this year love to see him again.

Kind regards

Roy Hellewell

I worked at Laycocks in the seventies. I worked in Garage Equipment, electronics dept. Does anybody remember Stan Rollinson, Bob Holmes, Norma Murphy etc. We used to disappear to the Sheaf pub on Fraser Road on Friday afternoons and stay there most of the afternoon. I don't think we would get away with it these days.

Hi

i worked with your dad for a few years, he was a lovely man bless him. He had Parkinsons then but always made light of it. I was at Laycocks approx 11 years up till around 1989 working on the plate line, my name is Shaun Goddard by the way.

hiya shaun i worked with you up until i took early retirement in 1988, i heard joe elliot had died,and tony palermo, and little stevie musto he was well 3 or 4 years ago he was working at meadowhall on security. spoke to stuart hoyland this summer he's still going strong. did you know ray clarkson he worked in the spring shop, the last i saw of him was in 1989 he had just been to the job center ,they had told him to apply for a job somewhere when i left we had just had a pay rise taking us to £5 per hour, he said that this firm had offered 80 p per hour and as much overtime as he wanted, bill in reclamation dept. ha ha.