Will England do it ??

CorkerSWFC

They played well in the last couple of games but it was against poor opposition, Poland had plenty of chances on the break and better team would have punished us.

Having said that there is a good blend of experience and young players in the side that bodes well, Wellbeck and Sturridge need to sharpen up though as chances will be limited against the better international teams.

I thought we played well and deserved the win.

Standout players for me were:

Cahill - I thought he was OK defensively and used the ball quite well. I like to see a central defender carry the ball into open space when he has the chance, because it drags the opposition players out of position as they move over to close him down.

Baines - Continued on where he left off in the last game and put a beautiful ball in for Rooney.

Townsend - My man of the match again. Plays direct and constantly put the opposition on the back foot.

I thought Gerard and Rooney also had decent games.

I don't think Cahill and Jagielka are a top central defensive pair and I worry about us at set pieces, but they're the best we've got so I'd stick with them.

Baines to keep his place.

Walker to come in again at right back.

Wilshire for Carrick in Midfield for me. Lampard is past it, his 10 minute cameo consisted of giving the ball away three times and getting booked because he was too slow.

Stevie G to continue to anchor the midfield.

I'm not a big Welbeck fan because I always think he looks uncomfortable and has a poor first touch, but I thought he did enough to keep his place.

I'm still to be convinced Sturridge is the best we have in attack. As with Welbeck, I thought his first touch was poor far too often.

For the World Cup I think I'd probably stick with the same starting 11, except Walker for Smalling and Wilshere for Carrick. Whether I'd go with Sturridge depends on which forward is hitting form at the time.

We've certainly got a few decent young ones coming through, I hope Roy continues to be as positive as he has these last 2 games and not go back to his natural instincts which is a safety first policy.

Regards

Doom

I saw something in them last night and it's the best squad we've had since 1996. They might not have players like Messi, Ronaldo but they played as a team and a togetherness.

Yes it was Poland, but when you consider the pressure they were under - they played without fear and I've not seen that for a very long time. You could see it in there body language, Hodgsons got them playing as a club. Can't remember the last time Rooney played with a smile while playing for England. Townsend is a hell of a player.

I saw something in them last night and it's the best squad we've had since 1996. They might not have players like Messi, Ronaldo but they played as a team and a togetherness.

Yes it was Poland, but when you consider the pressure they were under - they played without fear and I've not seen that for a very long time. You could see it in there body language, Hodgsons got them playing as a club. Can't remember the last time Rooney played with a smile while playing for England. Townsend is a hell of a player.

I'm sorry but what is there to fear? They kick a ball around!

Fear is clearing mine fields.

Fighting in trenches.

Standout players for me were:

Cahill - I thought he was OK defensively and used the ball quite well. I like to see a central defender carry the ball into open space when he has the chance, because it drags the opposition players out of position as they move over to close him down.

Baines - Continued on where he left off in the last game and put a beautiful ball in for Rooney.

Townsend - My man of the match again. Plays direct and constantly put the opposition on the back foot.

I thought Gerard and Rooney also had decent games.

I don't think Cahill and Jagielka are a top central defensive pair and I worry about us at set pieces, but they're the best we've got so I'd stick with them.

Wilshire for Carrick in Midfield for me. Lampard is past it, his 10 minute cameo consisted of giving the ball away three times and getting booked because he was too slow.

Stevie G to continue to anchor the midfield.

I'm not a big Welbeck fan because I always think he looks uncomfortable and has a poor first touch, but I thought he did enough to keep his place.

I'm still to be convinced Sturridge is the best we have in attack. As with Welbeck, I thought his first touch was poor far too often.

For the World Cup I think I'd probably stick with the same starting 11, except Walker for Smalling and Wilshere for Carrick. Whether I'd go with Sturridge depends on which forward is hitting form at the time.

We've certainly got a few decent young ones coming through, I hope Roy continues to be as positive as he has these last 2 games and not go back to his natural instincts which is a safety first policy.

Regards

Doom

not an awful lot to disagree with in this - going forward we were quite good, defensively we weren't too convincing

we're good enough to beat average opposition but i'm not sure we're good enough to beat better teams

i agree with the comments re carrick, lampard, welbeck & sturridge but i'm not sure we have much better - the friendlies between now and brazil should be used to have a look at other squad players rather than welbeck, lampard & carrick - although i'd give sturridge more time

i'd also like to see walcott & townsend in the same team

we still give the ball away too often in midfield though

Blah blah blah, leave that crap to another thread and cheer up a bit.

No it's the crap some of you lot write on here. Footballers aint hero's! Nor are they fearless.

There's no wonder footballers think their gods when people like you swoon at their feet.

Oh! I'm a happy chap most of the time.

Townsend - My man of the match again. Plays direct and constantly put the opposition on the back foot. 1st time I've seen him & liked what I saw, unlucky when hit bar

I thought Gerard and Rooney also had decent games. Did what was needed

Wilshire for Carrick in Midfield for me. Lampard is past it, his 10 minute cameo consisted of giving the ball away three times and getting booked because he was too slow. Agree 100%

Stevie G to continue to anchor the midfield. Nobody better ATM

I'm not a big Welbeck fan because I always think he looks uncomfortable and has a poor first touch, but I thought he did enough to keep his place. He could not trap a bag of cement, and that miss from 3 foot he wants shooting

I'm still to be convinced Sturridge is the best we have in attack. As with Welbeck, I thought his first touch was poor far too often. Good PL player, International class NO.

The 1st half we we ordinary until last 10-12 minutes, and Poland could have been out of sight with better finishing. In the 2nd half we were average at best, until SG scored and settled nerves, now we've qualified and go to Brazil full of confidence.

I fully expect to us not to show up as we didn't in South Africa, if Rooney can remember to come this time we could have a shout.

No it's the crap some of you lot write on here. Footballers aint hero's! Nor are they fearless.

There's no wonder footballers think their gods when people like you swoon at their feet.

Oh! I'm a happy chap most of the time.

I dont swoon at anybodys feet, I enjoy watching a game that unfortunately is mostly played in this country by overpaid, overrated players who underperform on a regular basis, lets enjoy a couple of good victories for once without wallowing in misery and making it political.