Neighbours can help

Hi I came across a flier yesterday about a website called Neighbours Can Help (http://neighbourscanhelp.org.uk/). I was wondering if anyone had any experience of using the site?

Seems like a great idea would really like to start a critter sitter circle to help out feeding each others pets and walking dogs when each other is away for the weekend or just need an extra hand. Thought this website would be a good place to start as it seems pretty secure (you have to validate your address via post).

Also like the idea of helping out other people in the area where its needed.

So what are peoples thoughts?

Letting strangers into your house while your away??

Trusting them purely because they live in your neighbourhood??

I don't think soooo

I wasn't suggesting just letting in anyone. the whole point is that you meet first, you share a common need and that if you don't trust them you don't let them look after your pets.

The fact that they lived in your area just means that its easier you and them. I didnt grow up in sheffield and moved here a couple of year's ago and don't know many people in the local area so this to me seems a really good way for people that need help to help each other.

With out trust in our fellow man we have no society

A good idea, but not always easy to get it working?

I've just had a look at the site.

I would be very reluctant to provide the details of information that is being asked for in order to join.

Particularly to a website that is not 'upfront' about telling us exactly who you are and where you are based.

Put some owners' names, addresses and a phone number on that front page.

I have joined .. they need your email address and address so they can validate who you are .. i specify that they send me a validation code via post then I log on ..

@neighbourscanhelp.org.uk. You can also ring our helpline on 0114 244 3623; ask for Jude, David or John.

Provincial House, Solly Street

Sheffield S1 4BA

I wouldn't trust anyone else to come into my home. Nor would I give my personal details to a random website so this website isn't for me

I wasn't suggesting just letting in anyone. the whole point is that you meet first, you share a common need and that if you don't trust them you don't let them look after your pets.

The fact that they lived in your area just means that its easier you and them. I didnt grow up in sheffield and moved here a couple of year's ago and don't know many people in the local area so this to me seems a really good way for people that need help to help each other.

With out trust in our fellow man we have no society

Do you by any chance live in Oughtibridge? The reason I ask is because of your username being the name of a well known road here.

it's a nice way of knowing and connecting people, and i really love the pet looking-after part