Warning about sky broadband

I rang sky to cancel my phone/broadband account last November. I was told that I need do no more as I was moving to talk talk who should notify them at a later date. (I specifically rang to cancel myself, as I never trust another company to do it correctly.)

Talk talk installed in December as expected, and I assumed my sky account had been cancelled. This month I noticed that sky have continued taking money out of my bank every month, so I have asked them for a refund.

Sky say it is impossible to refund me as they kept my account open "in good faith" as they expected talk talk to ask them to close it. They also say that instead of taking over the line, talk talk installed a new line (which is presumably why talk talk didn't contact sky).

I find it incredible that sky are refusing to refund my money even though they acknowledged that I rang them to cancel, and they know that I haven't used any of their services since.

According to sky the matter is now over. Does anybody have any advice on my next step? Apart from discouraging people from joining a company with such appalling customer service.

the same happened to me with cancelling sky tv. they got the debt collectors onto me for £41 and denied all knowledge of my phone call. i always advise people now to take the name of who you spoke to, the time and date you called and what was said because they will keep doing this to people. after that i refuse to ever get sky again.

I'm exactly the same! Must check my online banking nearly every day!!

More to the point is why did they not notify the bank to cancel any direct debit or standing order payable to Sky when they changed over to TalkTalk,

The first thing i do every morning is to go online to check whats coming out of the bank account that day.

Edited by therascal

I rang talk talk this morning and they say there is no legal obligation for them to have notified sky. However they offered to refund me half of the money. I know they have a lot of critisism but in this case their customer relations is so much better than the arrogant sky customer service staff. I have read so many stories today of people having money stolen by sky after they have cancelled.

Can't you just cancel your direct debit with them?

Oh, come on, that's too easy.

Some people might not pay via DD, nor check their bank accounts on a regular basis.

Some might have difficulty using internet banking.

Some people might not pay via DD, nor check their bank accounts on a regular basis.

Even though that's true, post #1 does tell us that

This month I noticed that sky have continued taking money out of my bank every month, so I have asked them for a refund..

Even though that's true, post #1 does tell us that

This month I noticed that sky have continued taking money out of my bank every month, so I have asked them for a refund..

Your Honour!

That post says nothing about cancelling a DD,which is very simple if you have an internet bank account.

cancelling a DD...is very simple if you have an internet bank account.

I agree- but OP also told us that

I rang sky to cancel my phone/broadband account last November. I was told that I need do no more as I was moving to talk talk who should notify them at a later date. (I specifically rang to cancel myself, as I never trust another company to do it correctly.).

I agree- but OP also told us that

I rang sky to cancel my phone/broadband account last November. I was told that I need do no more as I was moving to talk talk who should notify them at a later date. (I specifically rang to cancel myself, as I never trust another company to do it correctly.).

Please clarify the point you are trying to make.

I am fully aware that she contacted Sky to cancel her contract.

I am not clear why she did not cancel her DD, if she had one.

I am also not clear why she has only just checked her bank statement, be that on paper on online.

I am not clear if Sky records their telephone conversations and, if so, how long do they keep them.

Please clarify the point you are trying to make.

I am fully aware that she contacted Sky to cancel her contract.

I am not clear why she did not cancel her DD, if she had one.

I am also not clear why she has only just checked her bank statement, be that on paper on online.

I am not clear if Sky records their telephone conversations and, if so, how long do they keep them.

All of which are wholly irrelevant.

The OP told Sky they were cancelling the contract and was told they need do nothing more.

Sky continued to take money for a service they'd been asked to stop and which wasn't being used.

Sky are wholly in the wrong and should be made to refund all the money they've taken.

I am not for one minute sticking up for Sky.

I am just surprised that the OP had not checked her bank account since she cancelled her subscription.

One should always check one's bank account(s) on a regular basis to ensure everything is in order.

I'd soon know if my account was £50 or £100 short on a monthy basis.

Edited by Gleadly