Sheffield city centre - how would you change it?

I'd say it has to be appealing and look good. I wish people would try and keep their environment more tidy. Is that too much to hope for?

Flood it. Being surrounded by hills,it would make a useful reservoir.

I'd say it has to be appealing and look good. I wish people would try and keep their environment more tidy. Is that too much to hope for?

Here here! :thumbsup:

There are moves afoot to try and turn Sheffield into a Tourist destination.

This is not as daft as it sounds once you have let go of the notion that it is an industrial city - which it isn't any more.

It is right in the centre of Britain so within easy access of just about everyone, and with many natural advantages, the hills and valleys, parks, woods, rivers and the peak district. And it has a long and interesting history with something surviving from nearly every era; many places have become tourist hotspots with a lot less.

With the old Castle Market demolished it's hoped to uncover the remains of the Medieaval Sheffield Castle, one of the largest in England, (which survived for over 500 years and was deliberately made uninhabitable as a reprisal for supporting the King in the English Civil war,) and for the site to be developed into the start of a heritage trail. Many artefacts from the Castle were saved and are scattered around the city in other venues and museums. This is where Mary Queen of Scots was imprisoned. We also have many other sites like Bishops House and Manor Lodge which could be incorporated.

Personally I think it's an idea with a lot of potential. What do other people think? There's more information at http://www.friendsofsheffieldcastle.org.uk

There are moves afoot to try and turn Sheffield into a Tourist destination.

This is not as daft as it sounds once you have let go of the notion that it is an industrial city - which it isn't any more.

It is right in the centre of Britain so within easy access of just about everyone, and with many natural advantages, the hills and valleys, parks, woods, rivers and the peak district. And it has a long and interesting history with something surviving from nearly every era; many places have become tourist hotspots with a lot less.

With the old Castle Market demolished it's hoped to uncover the remains of the Medieaval Sheffield Castle, one of the largest in England, (which survived for over 500 years and was deliberately made uninhabitable as a reprisal for supporting the King in the English Civil war,) and for the site to be developed into the start of a heritage trail. Many artefacts from the Castle were saved and are scattered around the city in other venues and museums. This is where Mary Queen of Scots was imprisoned. We also have many other sites like Bishops House and Manor Lodge which could be incorporated.

Personally I think it's an idea with a lot of potential. What do other people think? There's more information at http://www.friendsofsheffieldcastle.org.uk

Im not too sure that Sheffield Castle will bring in many visitors. Nor Manor Castle for that matter. There's now't to see UC.

The city centre is a mess of closed shops or tat stores. There's no historic industry left to see. The Bishops House is about it now. What a pity the council pulled down Greenhill Hall.

The Peak District is very nice. But why would you bother staying in Sheffield when you can stay in Castleton?

Edited by Scabbydog

visited the city that i have loved since early 70s the other week after several years of being away and i could have cried i was that upset ,gone is the thriving city centre to be replaced by such a depressing place .

The moor is now non descript and sorry but the new market to me will be a white elephant as there is nothing else to attract customers that far down ,liverpool manchester and leeds have all excelled but sheffield has fallen way behind.

Not sure how you can judge The Moor given that half of it is a building site at the moment. The area around Castle Market is still bustling despite the fact that it has been run down and abandoned by the council and major retailers, if that type of footfall transfers to The Moor along with the development of the cinema and restaurant it's going to become the heart of the city.

The areas that need development are Castle Street (the proposed park sounds good), some of the buildings between The Moor and John Lewis need knocking down, and finally Arundel Gate needs a revamp the flow up from the station is disrupted by the rundown buildings here, even if they are in use.

Has suitcase nuke already been done?

That get's a "like".

One going off would do no more than £3.53's worth of damage :hihi:

Im not too sure that Sheffield Castle will bring in many visitors. Nor Manor Castle for that matter. There's now't to see UC.

The city centre is a mess of closed shops or tat stores. There's no historic industry left to see. The Bishops House is about it now. What a pity the council pulled down Greenhill Hall.

The Peak District is very nice. But why would you bother staying in Sheffield when you can stay in Castleton?

Sheffield could sell itself as the official city of "Poundstores", the nations No1 destination for Greggs or the The Home of Cash Converters . The city needs to play to its strengths . :hihi::hihi:

Sheffield could sell itself as the official city of "Poundstores", the nations No1 destination for Greggs or the The Home of Cash Converters . The city needs to play to its strengths . :hihi::hihi:

They could take a lesson from those Rail Ale trips. A major stop off on the Pukka Pies Trail. If only the rail station wasn't 3/4 of a mile from the town centre with Hallam University stuck in the way.

A better way to promote Sheffield would be to get folk to arrive my rail. Take a pint and a sandwich at The Sheffield Tap and get on a train to Leeds.

I'd like to see the area from the old Post Office in Fitzallan Square, down past the old court house, to the castlemarket site regenerated.

It could be lovely. Fitzallan square would be amazing with trees and pavement cafes. The old Post Office could be used as an art gallery or crafts centre, and the court house could be used as an interactive museum to compliment the castle ruins and park if they ever happen.

it is such a creative city , we need to push the made in sheffield angle.

drop a bomb on it and go to Leeds

---------- Post added 21-08-2013 at 12:28 ----------

Flatten most of it, put in a completely different road layout. Provide better access for traffic and public transport, get rid on one-way systems, give free parking, do away with pedestrianised areas unless it's an off-the-side area like the gardens.

just proved your point thats why the red brothers who rule Sheffield have turned it into a joke

Edited by davebrmm
spelling mistake