SUN CREAM -please use it .

I don't find boozing in the sun pleasurable Resident, it knocks me for six. I can find a million better things to do when the weather is this nice.

I can take it or leave it tbh. Rare that I drink anyway. It's always a certain type that come out and sit outside boozers all day when it's hot and I'm not one of them.

Why not booze? Are you referring to the myth that alcoholic beverages are dehydrants?

Don't know about that but hot weather makes em thirsty

cos they're thirsty they drink more.

Drink to them means booze

They carry on drinking to slake their thirst until they fall down.....drunk AND sunburnt.....not a good combination.

You should not drink alcohol while you are in the sun because IT DOES DEHYDRATE YOU ! . I cant for the life on me work out why people think just because it is hot in this country they think they don't have to use sun cream . ER HELLO ! . :rant:. some people are so stupid. I saw a girl in Cornwall the other year & I have never seen anything like it , her legs were red raw. I wouldn't be surprised if she ended up in casualty .

Plenty of SPF30 sun cream on today and lots and lots of water to drink. Ate very little, just fresh fruit.

I'm one of the silly ones. Very burnt. Usually so careful but for some reason just didn't think about it. Very mad at myself. :(

No such thing as a safe tan

Of course there is.

It is burning that causes damage.

Repeated moderate exposure resulting in an nice tan is perfectly safe.

Hiding from the sun has its own perils.

Edited by cgksheff

and wellies

ohh erm hang on i mean

Your coat, you silly bugger :hihi: :hihi:

You should not drink alcohol while you are in the sun because IT DOES DEHYDRATE YOU ! . I cant for the life on me work out why people think just because it is hot in this country they think they don't have to use sun cream . ER HELLO ! . :rant:. some people are so stupid. I saw a girl in Cornwall the other year & I have never seen anything like it , her legs were red raw. I wouldn't be surprised if she ended up in casualty .

Coffee has the same diuretic effect as alcohol, but we don't say "don't drink coffee, it's hot out" do we? (Note: it's not just coffee, it's any caffeinated drinks)

Any evidence that caffeine promotes the loss of water from the body has been greatly overplayed in recent years. It is not based on scientific fact. If you are already dehydrated and consume heavily caffeinated drinks, then there might be a very mild risk of it getting worse. But generally it makes no difference if people drink coffee, tea, cola or water.”

- Ron Maughan, professor of human physiology, University of Aberdeen Medical School

Maughan and his colleagues have also looked at the effects of alcohol, considered to be another diuretic, and found that, in moderation, it too has little impact on the average person’s state of fluid balance. His results, published in the Journal of Applied Physiology, showed that alcoholic drinks with an alcohol content of less than 4 per cent such as light beer and lager can be used to stave off dehydration.”

Of course there is.

Indeed it does, and we're seeing the re-emergence of diseases due to lack of sun exposure. Everything in moderation.

We were in Scarborough yesterday and had my SPF30 on but there were a lot of lobster red people wandering about. If people want to burn in the sun then that's their choice but we also saw quite a few kids yesterday who were starting to look a bit frazzled.

No such thing as a safe tan

Really? So all those people who live in sunnier climates die of skin cancer when, exactly?

By the time they are 9?

(They must start breeding early.)

People who live in places with climates like Sheffield have little or no natural protection. If you took a Sheffielder and moved him to somewhere which had a climate (as opposed to dank and miserable weather) then he too would develop natural levels of protection (assuming he didn't sit around indoors all day playing on an X-box.)

When I was a child, I usually started going to the beach in early April. (My mother said: "You're bloody mad! - It's far too cold! You'll freeze yourself to death!

I was a kid. By late May (when the temperatures were beginning to warm up a bit) those parts of my skin which weren't blue with cold were brown - and they'd never been burned.

By late July (when the English Tourists arrived) my skin was a very dark shade of brown.

The tourists (who aren't, as a breed renowned for being too bright) would look at the local kids and say to themselves: "Well, if he can lay out in the sun all day - so can I."

Some of them did lay out in the sun all day ... and then they wondered why they ended up in hospital with second (or if they were really unlucky third) degree burns.

There are some places (typically high-altitude deserts) where the UV levels are so high that skin cancer is a common (but usually treatable) problem.

In most places at or near sea level (where the atmosphere attenuates the UV levels) people are able to live without burning up ... provide they acclimatise slowly.

Sunlight isn't dangerous. - But people can be stupid.

Of course there is.

I was going to say something like this.

---------- Post added 07-07-2013 at 10:02 ----------

There was an interesting study reported in the news a few weeks back, but I can't actually find it.

http://blogs.discovermagazine.com/crux/2012/07/17/lesson-burned-does-sunscreen-actually-reduce-the-risk-of-cancer/#.UdkuCW2dtf8

Not where I originally read it, but a lack of evidence that suncream reduces the risk of cancer...

(That said, I'm about to put P20 on, as burning isn't pleasant).

Edited by Cyclone