History of Woolworths (The Moor)

When I was a kid during the war there was also a Woolworth's on Attercliffe common...

Woolworth's were like Tesco's, every where, they even had their own record label, Embassy...

I think there may have been a Woolworth store at Hillsborough.

Incidentally the own label of Woolworth was Winfield, which was the founder's middle name.

When Woolworth's on the Moor was bombed out in WW2, the business moved into the Lansdowne Cinema on London Road, which therefore had all the seats removed, etc. . It was a strange experience, as the floors sloped downwards towards the 'screen'!

I don't know when they moved back to the Moor, probably round 1950. The Lansdowne didn't last long as a cinema, becoming the Locarno dance hall, then a night club(s), and eventually demolished save for the pinnacled corner. Now Sainsbury's etc.

I worked at the one at Haymarket in 1970. Worked on the doughnut and baked bread counter. It was hard work we hadnt gone decimel at that time, all adding up had to be done in your head.Had to work until 6.00 pm on Saturdays. Only stuck it six months it wasnt doing my social life any good.

I think there may have been a Woolworth store at Hillsborough.

Incidentally the own label of Woolworth was Winfield, which was the founder's middle name.

The Woolworth's record label I remember as a lad back in the fifties was called Embassy.

The Landsdown cinema after the blitz was taken over by M&S...

Edited by grinder

The Woolworth's record label I remember as a lad back in the fifties was called Embassy.

The Landsdown cinema after the blitz was taken over by M&S...

Was it M&S. Sorry. My excuse is that I was just a little lad, all I can remember was the sloping floor....

I dont suppose anyone remembers the burglar who broke in Woolworths the moor in the Early 1970s. This person was apparently so drunk he could not remember how he got in there. He had to come to the inside of the front door and alert passers by (or police) to let him out. :loopy:

Was it M&S. Sorry. My excuse is that I was just a little lad, all I can remember was the sloping floor....

Yer, great for sliding wasn't it......:hihi:

I dont suppose anyone remembers the burglar who broke in Woolworths the moor in the Early 1970s. This person was apparently so drunk he could not remember how he got in there. He had to come to the inside of the front door and alert passers by (or police) to let him out. :loopy:

Thats just jogged another memory that my mum told me.She worked at woolies during the 50s ( not sure which one ) but it was in town and they caught a shoplifter stealing a packet of biscuits,they locked him in a window display room and phoned the police.The police came to arrest him and after a thorough serch could not find the biscuits! Yep! He had eaten them all plus all the wrapping so they had to let him go! :hihi:

I always miss Woolworths around Christmas, does anyone else?

Yes, and Easter. They always had a huge selection of eggs.

I remember seeing a Queue outside the Haymarket one the day they finally ended rationing on all sweets..

Was that in the early 50s...?

Edited by grinder