Anyone got hedgehogs?

I've lived in Sheffield over 25 years and don't recall seeing any hedgehogs. I've been in Norton Lees 5 and a half years, and have seen a dead one in the road and no live ones. I'd love to have them in the garden.

I know they're in decline, but was wondering if anyone have hedgehogs in their gardens?! I'm particularly interested in Norton Lees area...

Next door has a family of hogs living around her lean to. Shes 87 so they are never disturbed. We leave out hog food and water nightly for them. Such fun to watch!

I've got over 2000 - unfortunately no live ones but did see one last week down at caravan park:hihi::hihi::hihi: I love hedgehogs and if I win lottery I'm opening a sanctuary for hedgehogs and tapirs

hedgehogs are becoming rarer and rarer as many more are falling victims to the car, please drive carefully on country roads especialy, but on all roads at night...

i think it wont be long before we hardly see any hedgehogs about. they are such beautifull creatures...

We had hedgehogs in 2011 but I didn't see them last year and so far this year I haven't seen them.

I have put food out for them and the food has gone but the birds might be responsible for that.

We had an adult that used to come every evening and then one day there were some young ones as well.

It isn't too late this year so I'm keeping my fingers crossed. Our garden is slug paradise for them so it should be bursting at the seams with hoggies.

There's a lot of slugs and snails in our garden as well, which is partly why I'd love to have hedgehogs, but I also just like wildlife, so it would be lovely to see some :(

I'm sure that's true. Shame people need an instant solution to the problem, rather than wait for nature to take its course.

When I moved to our current house 12 years ago we had around 5 or 6 hedgehogs coming to the garden in the evening. We put out tinned dog food for them (meat, not fish based). Over the years this has dwindled away to practically none. Now I'm lucky to see one a couple of times a week. You could try a bit of dog food on an old plate for a few nights. You might of course get something else - foxes (as we do & I like that!), rats (I've *never* seen a rat come to the food) or occasionally a badger!!

None yet.

I've got a big pile of sticks that are surely attractive to some hodgehegs and we garden organically (so no slug pellets).

I might see if I can get some off South Yorkshire Animal Rescue though website appears to be down at the moment...

When I moved to our current house 12 years ago we had around 5 or 6 hedgehogs coming to the garden in the evening. We put out tinned dog food for them (meat, not fish based). Over the years this has dwindled away to practically none. Now I'm lucky to see one a couple of times a week. You could try a bit of dog food on an old plate for a few nights. You might of course get something else - foxes (as we do & I like that!), rats (I've *never* seen a rat come to the food) or occasionally a badger!!

Not being funny Irene as you are well respected on here, me included, but you should give cat food to hedgehogs not dog food as cats and hedgehogs are carnivores, dogs are omnivores

im in norton woodseats so not too far from op but christ we are over run by slugs and snails would love a hoggy to come nom them up