What would you do if you only had months to live?

I was just thinking about Iain Banks who died today just two months after announcing that he had terminal cancer.

In the time left to him he proposed to his long time love, married her, went on honeymoon, bought a very expensive and flash car, completed his final book, went on holiday and thanked a couple of his favourite authors for being an inspiration to him.

If you knew you were dying and wouldn't see out the year what would you do?

As well as the boring and necessary things like making sure the mortgage would be paid off, my will was up to date etc I'd visit distant relatives and those I hadn't seen for an age then go on holiday. I might just be able to stretch to another trip to Antarctica. It was the holiday of a lifetime when I went 10 years ago and I think after going back there with my partner I'd be happy enough to let go.

Edited by taxman

Max out all my credit cards, get as much loan as I can

I was just thinking about Iain Banks who died today just two months after announcing that he had terminal cancer.

In the time left to him he proposed to his long time love, married her, went on honeymoon, bought a very expensive and flash car, completed his final book, went on holiday and thanked a couple of his favourite authors for being an inspiration to him.

If you knew you were dying and wouldn't see out the year what would you do?

As well as the boring and necessary things like making sure the mortgage would be paid off, my will was up to date etc I'd visit distant relatives and those I hadn't seen for an age then go on holiday. I might just be able to stretch to another trip to Antarctica. It was the holiday of a lifetime when I went 10 years ago and I think after going back there with my partner I'd be happy enough to let go.

sounds nice - I'd love to travel and do things I'd wish I'd done but like alot of cancer sufferers it will be a case of working till you're nearly dead before dragging out benefits from a resentful government.

I really admire Iain Banks for having the mental and emotional capacity to go and do some of the things that sound so positive in his situation. When I was facing the 'we aren't sure but we think that this is it' I couldn't have done that because I was too far into shock and panic to even have proper emotions.

If this was to happen again I'd be a whole lot better prepared and ready to make my own bucket list.

I really do hope that it doesn't happen again though, and that I either die peacefully in my sleep without warning or die quickly in an accident so that I don't have that to deal with :)

I might go around and tell all the people who annoy me how they they annoy me.

Sometimes I bite my tongue because it's just not worth an argument, but if I'm going to die soon then definitely, never have to see them again.

"Stop telling everybody how proud you are of your baby! It smiled, how are you proud of a baby for smiling?? That's what they do! It didn't win a Nobel frigging prize! Argh I am bloody glad I've only got a week to live I don't want to put up with this nonsense anymore anyway.

Can you do some sins so I don't see you in Heaven? Thanks!".

Edited by Super Hans

I would work my way very swiftly through my bucket list.