Standard of driving and Lorries

I dont confess to be the worlds best driver, but I like to think that I drive to a good standard.

This morning on the M18 I was nearly crashed into twice, one guy joining the motorway and then instantly moving towards my lane before realising that I was where he wanted to be.

Then theres people who just pull out from their lane into the next one in front of another car, without indicating causing them to brake, and everyone else to brake.

I do not understand why it is so bad! Motorway driving is so easy as everyone is going in the same direction! Its daft that people can be this bad!

And then Lorries. RAH!! Lorries should NOT be allowed in the outside lane EVER on dual carriage ways unless the lane is obstructed. This causes so much congestion with one lane doing 50 mph and the other doing 51 mph for MILES on end.

Any one agree or is it just me?

They are allways on the phone too saw a Vieola bin lorry nearly take the front of a Mondeo off yesterday going round a corner turning with one hand.

So anyone driving a wagon has to endure doing 40mph on a 60mph stretch to appease you.

Lorries pay more road tax than you, so they have right of way and can barge you off the road.

Lorries damage the roads much more as well.

Drive along the inside lane of a motorway and you'll soon fine the ruts they leave.

My God ....there's an inside lane !!!

Glynn :shocked:

yep, blinkered middle lane autopiloters are a menace.

but if a lorry wants to overtake another lorry, let them. keep your distance and your patience. most have governors which limit their speed, i'm sure the driver would love to be able to go 5mph faster when overtaking but they can't. the other could slow down, but the price of diesel means any unnecessary accelerating is an expense that can and should be avoided.

lorries are like migrating geese. they swap positions in their formation because pushing through clean airflow takes more effort than following in the turbulence.

lorry drivers are nice to each other and swap around for the same reason.

yep, blinkered middle lane autopiloters are a menace.

but if a lorry wants to overtake another lorry, let them. keep your distance and your patience. most have governors which limit their speed, i'm sure the driver would love to be able to go 5mph faster when overtaking but they can't. the other could slow down, but the price of diesel means any unnecessary accelerating is an expense that can and should be avoided.

Perhaps it's time somebody found a means of letting a lorry driver exceed the governed speed during an overtake?

In the US (where the standard of driving usually varies between 'incompetent' and 'dangerous') lorries rarely hold up the flow of traffic. On most Interstates (other than around towns) the speed limit is 70 mph and the lorries are doing about 75.

they swap positions in their formation because pushing through clean airflow takes more effort than following in the turbulence.

lorry drivers are nice to each other and swap around for the same reason.

I'm not quite sure what you are talking about here. - This is a family forum. ;)

I dont confess to be the worlds best driver, but I like to think that I drive to a good standard.

This morning on the M18 I was nearly crashed into twice, one guy joining the motorway and then instantly moving towards my lane before realising that I was where he wanted to be.

Then theres people who just pull out from their lane into the next one in front of another car, without indicating causing them to brake, and everyone else to brake.

I do not understand why it is so bad! Motorway driving is so easy as everyone is going in the same direction! Its daft that people can be this bad!

And then Lorries. RAH!! Lorries should NOT be allowed in the outside lane EVER on dual carriage ways unless the lane is obstructed. This causes so much congestion with one lane doing 50 mph and the other doing 51 mph for MILES on end.

Any one agree or is it just me?

its just you. :rant: