Car off road - MOT, TAX, Insurance query

Just wondering if someone could advise on best route for me...

Car has been declared off road for some-time, i'm needing to now get it back up and running, so need to sort out insurance, tax and mot.

however....

If the car is in a bad way and completely fails the MOT and it isn't even worth doing but i've already signed up for a years insurance and road tax i'm assuming i'm a little stuffed and will be fighting to get some kind of refund.

I know you can drive car to MOT if booked....but think this is IF you already have Insurance and Road Tax?

so....what is best course of action? :huh:

You can drive the car to a pre booked MOT, but it does need to be insured. It doesn't need to be taxed. One other problem is that some insurance companies won't cover you without an MOT.

Maybe get a garage to collect it & MOT it.

You can drive the car to a pre booked MOT, but it does need to be insured. It doesn't need to be taxed. One other problem is that some insurance companies won't cover you without an MOT.

Maybe get a garage to collect it & MOT it.

they said they can't, well they can but would be classed as auto-recovery, didnt quiz them but assume that will hit my wallet a bit...but maybe only way?

Perhaps you could get a mobile mechanic to check it over first to see if it's worth doing, then maybe get them to drive it to MOT on their trade insurance ?

Ring chequered flag at Killamarsh and ask for Kens number - he runs the garage at the rear.

As you're close(ish) one of his lads may collect it and drive it on garage insurance.

Alternatively ring Rackfords at Halfway they may do the same,and they MOT them as well.

Perhaps you could get a mobile mechanic to check it over first to see if it's worth doing, then maybe get them to drive it to MOT on their trade insurance ?

That sounds best, you might be legal to drive it to the test centre, but it needs to be safe and road worthy.

As shand1 said get a mobile mechanic to check it out to see if its feasible, he also will do any necessary work on it if he can.

Is there anything obvious that it will fail the MOT on?

How long has it been declared SORN?

Most obvious things are corroded brake pipes, worn brake discs/pads, excessive play in ball joints, simple electrical stuff such as bulbs and the dreaded rust but most modern cars (less than 10 years old) should be ok.

Just wondering if someone could advise on best route for me...

Car has been declared off road for some-time, i'm needing to now get it back up and running, so need to sort out insurance, tax and mot.

however....

If the car is in a bad way and completely fails the MOT and it isn't even worth doing but i've already signed up for a years insurance and road tax i'm assuming i'm a little stuffed and will be fighting to get some kind of refund.

I know you can drive car to MOT if booked....but think this is IF you already have Insurance and Road Tax?

so....what is best course of action? :huh:

You cant get road tax without a mot certificate.