Spraying new wing HELP needed !!

Hi,

I have bought a new wing for my Ford Transit van which is white, but the wing comes in black as standard !!

I have got the correct paint colour made up for my van, but unsure what to do next. Do I have to prime the wing, or can I just apply the paint direct e.t.c ?

Any advice would be much appreciated..

Thank you.

No, it needs rubbing down, priming, rubbing down again, priming,the more work you,put in with the preparation, the better. I assume you have not yet fitted the wing?

Spray indoors, hopefully in a draught-free garage, wear face masks, keep everything clean, and try not to rush!

hi, that's great, thank you. Just a couple of things - is it just a metal primer ? And its brand new, should it really require all this prep ? I thought it would come ready done ?

Many thanks for your help.

P.s I haven't fitted it yet :P:P

Edited by Henri
missing text

Yes, a brand new wing needs lots of preparation! And yes, a proper primer, suitable for the top coat you have. I imagine it is a cellulose spray you have. If you make a really good job of the sanding down, with wet and dry paper, and apply a few good coats of primer, you can almost make a pigs ear of applying the top coat and still get a half decent result.

To make the wet and dry sanding, or "flatting down" a bit more gentle, add a squeeze of washing up liquid to the water. Where abouts are you?

Sorry jonny, i disagree! For top coat paint to adhere, you need fresh primer, and a good surface. The paint that is on a new wing is just not good enough if you want the finish to look anything near half decent.

Sorry jonny, i disagree! For top coat paint to adhere, you need fresh primer, and a good surface. The paint that is on a new wing is just not good enough if you want the finish to look anything near half decent.

well for the 22 years ive been doing bodywork im wrong then !!!! all i can say , ..... its a cathodic coating on original panels which if not broken to bare metal can be keyed properly and painted directly onto , now it all depends on what condition it is when you start , but the question wasnt that it was do i have to prime the wing !!! on which i answered correctly which is no