'Forge Valley have failed ofsted inspection

No I'm not expecting them to turn the school around in 8 weeks!! However I am expecting that they should have a plan of action and that they have at least made a start on things!!

---------- Post added 22-05-2013 at 09:07 ----------

Yes I did supply comments for the inspection, along with the other 49 people!! 50 out of 1300 was a bit of a joke really! Was it that people didn't realise how bad things were or was it they didn't get the letter home or was it that it was head in the sand syndrome, I don't know?? I just hope that parents will now get behind the school and push them to improve things!!

I didnt get a letter home so didnt supply comments - can you still give your comments to OFSTED?

An integrated resource is a unit within a school that supports children with special needs,ie Autism.They have a team of support assistants that go with kids to class to support them. There are only 3 such units in Sheffield and they usually only accept 4 kids per year so you have to fight to get your child in one as when they go to secondary school in yr 7 there are only 12 places across Sheffield.

Hi Showers,

Thanks, that makes sense. I suppose this is probably why we get a lot of children with SENS being home educated.

;-) ;-) ;-)

Edited by showers

It still won't be anywhere near that 25% though - schools such as Tapton have vast cohorts from a wide range of backgrounds, and only a small minority of those will achieve private tuition. I don't doubt that it can make a difference for one or two individuals, but any effect on the schools overall results will be negligible.

What nonsense : they don't have vast cohorts from a range of backgrounds! They have 3 feeder schools 2 of which are firmly in S10! hardly a deprived ward.

The majority of the school intake is from Lydgate which serves a quite affluent neighbourhood.

Did you not see the rest of the input parents make and the effect that has on learning and results. Take that away and Tapton (ans similar schools) would not get the results they do.

What nonsense : they don't have vast cohorts from a range of backgrounds! They have 3 feeder schools 2 of which are firmly in S10! hardly a deprived ward.

The majority of the school intake is from Lydgate which serves a quite affluent neighbourhood.

Did you not see the rest of the input parents make and the effect that has on learning and results. Take that away and Tapton (ans similar schools) would not get the results they do.

They have about 250 in a year group, vast compared to many Sheffield Schools.

One of their feeder schools is Netherthorpe - hardly an affluent neighbourhood. Not forgetting their allocation of students who would have previously attended Abbeydale - a difficult group for many reasons. Oh and Lydgate has students from quite a range of backgrounds to start with.

It would be nice if we could celebrate the good work our successful schools and their talented teachers are doing - yes indeed with young people from a wide range of backgrounds.

;-) ;-) ;-)

Edited by showers

Well I have just wasted the last two hours attending the meeting at FV. I had my hand up for an hour and still didn't get to ask my questions. I have even less confidence in the school now! I was totally disgusted with the turnout, don't people care about their child's education?? And to say it was a meeting about the school failing, only 1 governor??? Feel sick to my stomach to be honest!

Crikey, only 1 governor is indeed appalling:( I did want to go to see what they had to say about how they were going to turn themselves around but unfortunately couldn't. Are they having a forum some other way of you being able to ask your questions if you couldn't in the allotted time?

They have about 250 in a year group, vast compared to many Sheffield Schools.

One of their feeder schools is Netherthorpe - hardly an affluent neighbourhood. Not forgetting their allocation of students who would have previously attended Abbeydale - a difficult group for many reasons. Oh and Lydgate has students from quite a range of backgrounds to start with.

It would be nice if we could celebrate the good work our successful schools and their talented teachers are doing - yes indeed with young people from a wide range of backgrounds.

And of that 250 approx 30 or so are from "disadvantaged backgrounds" - so not vast.

Not denying there are some talented teachers there (some very, some not so good) but that will be the same as the teachers in FV, Yewlands and Stocksbridge. What makes the real difference is the parental support that some can give.

;-0 ;-0 ;-0

Edited by showers

Academy was mentioned and when that happens, it starts as a brand new school yet again. What year is your child in? Don't think they are having a forum and to be quite honest I don't think it would make any difference. I heard some stories about bullying, supply teachers, there's gonna be staff changes etc, don't hold much hope for FV at all. I'm gutted yet again! I bet there will be a mad rush in parents trying to get their kids in other schools! Wish it was that simple for us!

Mine is currently in Y8. We had looked at moving our lad a couple of months ago to find there was no space in the school we wanted to move to so people will not find moving that easy :S Did they give parents much time for questions?

;-0 ;-0 ;-0

Edited by showers