Obesity and employers

It's a silly example I agree but some employers are fat. And they operate businesses with roles they couldn't do themselves.

On this i have to agree.

Oh, by the way, i loved your example but i know the mods are keen for threads not to deviate from the op too much and my original reply would have taken us in a whole new direction.

Think Leia in that costume and your probably on the right tracks haha,..

As for fat bosses, in my last job my boss was happy to tell us all he weighed 24 stone.

Hes only like 5.9" too and boy can he sweat.

He was a great boss, a good bloke but he was stupidly over weight.

Don't be cruel mate, she's long term unemployed and needed cake and pies. Cakes and pies are not cheap and are luxury items when you're on benefits.

I'm wondering how some overweight long term unemployed people can afford to eat enough to remain overweight.

I can understand why you'd pick a fit person over a chubba I just wouldn't tell them why. I'm amazed, certainly as some cases of obesity are down to medical conditions rather than cake, that's its not breaking the law to discriminate against fat people but I can't, for example, discriminate against someone with no arms or employing a devout Muslim in an off licence.

You live and learn.

These cases are very rare though, although I do agree they exist. However, although it may be a medical condition, they can still do something to overcome it. I know someone who genuinely has a medical condition, finds it very very difficult to lose weight. He has struggled for years and years. Finally he was introduced to a certain kind of exercise and now he can keep control of it - he's not just sitting there moaning about not being able to do anything about it, he is working hard to overcome it.

Anyway.... as I was saying, they are very rare and most fat people will use this as an excuse to feel better about their laziness. If they exercised (even starting with a slow walk and building from there) and became more educated with their food choices then they would be amazed how quickly the weight would drop off.

I'm wondering how some overweight long term unemployed people can afford to eat enough to remain overweight.

Well, as in the link previously given, the overweight unemployed lady in the article was caught stealing cakes shortly after the interview. I find it hard to believe though that overweight long term unemployed people are able to remain overweight due to stealing their snacks of choice, because if you owned a cake shop with a recent spate of thefts and a very large woman came in, and she's checking out those cakes a little bit too hard, you're going to keep your eye on her. So my suspicion is that due to the lack of work, they are just lounging around and not burning any calories.

Maybe a longterm overweight person would like to post their daily routine on here so we can analyse the situation. Lets help, and not judge or blame, we're all friends here. This is a safe environment.

John Prescott, Winston Churchill, Cyril Smith, Edward Heath John Candy, I could go on but all had very good careers. People are so quick to have a go at the overweight, they still do a job, what about the skinny they can't do manual work by people's theory on here.

It does not matter if a person is fat, thin, small, tall, black, white, yellow or green if they show the aptitude they can do anything. As has been said some are very overweight and about 40 stone those yes they are the ones that are eating themselves to death, but someone round 18 stone they can still do a job. Some are overweight through various medical problems I have heart failure & can put 4 kilos on overnight due to build up of fluid, I'm not fat by due to my condition I can rapidly gain weight.

Okay some jobs that people do they cannot be overweight, but lots they are and it doesn't affect their ability to do the job.

I then have to go through the process of getting it off again, it's water retention and just involves a heck of a lot more visits to the loo after the water tablets have kicked in.

Don't forget there are people can can eat 2 spuds more than a pig, and are like a matchstick, its all down to metabolisms as well, as not exercising.

I can also put weight on due to inability to exercise due to my condition, so I have to watch what I eat but I do allow myself the occasional treat.

but I do allow myself the occasional treat.

and the truth shall set you free! :suspect:

I think it's very interesting that Katie Hopkins believes those overweight have little to no ambition. I absolutely agree because anyone can say they are ambitious, but the main driver of ambition and motivation is SELF-DISCIPLINE! And being overweight is the number one tell tale sign that someone lacks self discipline.

I'm not so sure. Yes, you could say that being overweight shows a lack of self-discipline, but how do you know that it relates to areas other than food? Someone could have a weakness for eating, but be incredibly dedicated to other things - study for example. People have complex personalities.

I'm not so sure. Yes, you could say that being overweight shows a lack of self-discipline, but how do you know that it relates to areas other than food? Someone could have a weakness for eating, but be incredibly dedicated to other things - study for example. People have complex personalities.

I see your point, but appearance, clothes, hygiene and body shape are the first impressions we give anyone of our level of self discipline. That's why most overweight people don't command respect on first glance. Being overweight limits fashion, cut and fit, is associated with poor hygiene whether true or not and logically means the person over eats unhealthy foods and is lazy as they don't burn fat through exercise. If an employers first thought is that you are lazy, it's over. An employer has all of this information before they've even started considering whether this person will be hindered in their work due to their size. It's a terrible first impression and when there is a line forming behind of thin people, why take the risk.

I see your point, but appearance, clothes, hygiene and body shape are the first impressions we give anyone of our level of self discipline. That's why most overweight people don't command respect on first glance. Being overweight limits fashion, cut and fit, is associated with poor hygiene whether true or not and logically means the person over eats unhealthy foods and is lazy as they don't burn fat through exercise. If an employers first thought is that you are lazy, it's over. An employer has all of this information before they've even started considering whether this person will be hindered in their work due to their size. It's a terrible first impression and when there is a line forming behind of thin people, why take the risk.

They can also over eat healthy food, which is why people need educating as to what constitutes a healthy portion size etc and what is actually healthy and unhealthy.

The woman I referred to in a previous post eats salad, a massive tupperware sized box of salad, in this she has goats cheese and maybe tuna or chicken. As a rule, this isn't too bad, however, the size she is consuming (genuinely more than I eat in a whole day) just contributes to her weight gain/maintenance.

They can also over eat healthy food, which is why people need educating as to what constitutes a healthy portion size etc and what is actually healthy and unhealthy.

The woman I referred to in a previous post eats salad, a massive tupperware sized box of salad, in this she has goats cheese and maybe tuna or chicken. As a rule, this isn't too bad, however, the size she is consuming (genuinely more than I eat in a whole day) just contributes to her weight gain/maintenance.

Trust me, they didn't get that big by eating oversized portions of healthy food. And they KNOW IT! It's easy to lose a ton of weight but a complete lifestyle change is necessary, many overweight people don't know how to do that. For example, lets say an overweight 22 stone woman came and lived with me and agreed to live my lifestyle. She'd be 9 stone or less in under a year. No doubt about it.

I know exactly what you mean. It's easy to jump to conclusions though. Some people aren't driven by looks and fashion, but they might be very intelligent and dedicated to other stuff. Others are obsessed by the body beautiful, and go to the gym every day, but maybe that's all they think about. Not many of the academics I know would win style contests, but they are very good at what they do.

and the truth shall set you free! :suspect:

No FB sadly it won't but the time I have left, I intend to enjoy it fella