Natural remedy for Osteoarthritis?

I assume the aspirin is on the advice of your doctor? That can cause stomach problems, it makes your stomach more susceptible to acid, can cause ulcers, etc.

You should check with your doctor before taking anything new & make sure it doesn't interact badly with any of the other drugs you're on.

Maybe some stronger nsaids might help (ask your doctor). You might also find that morphine doesn't make you sick now, after being on codeine. Codeine is converted to morphine by your liver & that's the active drug, so codeine just takes longer to have an effect & is less potent.

Best advice is to ask your doctor & say the tablets you're on aren't controlling the pain well enough. They do have stronger pain killers & anti-inflammatory drugs than codeine & paracetamol. If you're taking codeine all the time you will get a tolerance & it'll have less effect, maybe your doctor could advise you if you need to increase your dose or switch to something else.

Edited by anywebsite

I assume the aspirin is on the advice of your doctor? That can cause stomach problems, it makes your stomach more susceptible to acid, can cause ulcers, etc.

You should check with your doctor before taking anything new & make sure it doesn't interact badly with any of the other drugs you're on.

Maybe some stronger nsaids might help (ask your doctor). You might also find that morphine doesn't make you sick now, after being on codeine. Codeine is converted to morphine by your liver & that's the active drug, so codeine just takes longer to have an effect & is less potent.

Best advice is to ask your doctor & say the tablets you're on aren't controlling the pain well enough. They do have stronger pain killers & anti-inflammatory drugs than codeine & paracetamol. If you're taking codeine all the time you will get a tolerance & it'll have less effect, maybe your doctor could advise you if you need to increase your dose or switch to something else.

Thanks for the advice, yes my doc put me on Aspirin, I've found the Codeine aren't as effective now and I'm taking more a lately :(

A friend of mines on anti inflammatorys, but my doc won't give them to me as they're not good for the stomach.

But I'm going to take your advice and ask him for something a bit stronger, although I've already done that a few months ago and he just told me to take more Codeine..:(

I do not suffer from arthritis myself although my husband did, very painfully, until he had two hip replacements. He's fine now.

My mother recommends a book by Nurse Margaret Hill entitled 'Treating Arthritis the Drug-Free Way' which she swears has kept her free of the symptoms for two decades now (she used to be in a lot of pain, but isn't any more)

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Treating-Arthritis-Drug-Free-Margaret-Hills/dp/1847092373/ref=pd_sim_b_1

After the woffly intro, it's basically a very reasonable healthy eating regime involving whole foods and honey and cider vinegar, plus restricting or cutting out red meat, caffeine, refined sugar and some citrus fruits. It used to be called 'Curing Arthritis etc' but there isn't a cure (yet) - all you can do is prevent the symptoms becoming too painful.

Doctors will also prescribe Naproxin (an effective anti-inflammatory analgesic) but I don't think you can be on that indefinitely. If you are dosing yourself up with painkiller every day and are getting desperate, perhaps the Nurse Hill diet would be worth a try. It certainly won't do you any harm and some of my mother's friends have hailed it as a miracle.

Edited by aliceBB

I do not suffer from arthritis myself although my husband did, very painfully, until he had two hip replacements. He's fine now.

My mother recommends a book by Nurse Margaret Hill entitled 'Treating Arthritis the Drug-Free Way' which she swears has kept her free of the symptoms for two decades now (she used to be in a lot of pain, but isn't any more)

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Treating-Arthritis-Drug-Free-Margaret-Hills/dp/1847092373/ref=pd_sim_b_1

After the woffly intro, it's basically a very reasonable healthy eating regime involving whole foods and honey and cider vinegar, plus restricting or cutting out red meat, caffeine, refined sugar and some citrus fruits. It used to be called 'Curing Arthritis etc' but there isn't a cure (yet) - all you can do is prevent the symptoms becoming too painful.

Doctors will also prescribe Naproxin (an effective anti-inflammatory analgesic) but I don't think you can be on that indefinitely. If you are dosing yourself up with painkiller every day and are getting desperate, perhaps the Nurse Hill diet would be worth a try. It certainly won't do you any harm and some of my mother's friends have hailed it as a miracle.

Thanks, the book sounds worth having a look at..:thumbsup:

Tai chi is particularly good for high blood pressure, depression, digestive problems, and promotes self healing

Good call.

lots of other good advice on here:

http://www.arthritisresearchuk.org/arthritis-information/complementary-and-alternative-medicines/complementary-therapies/diet-and-supplements.aspx

Edited by pottedplant

No use going to the docs, he just keeps telling me to take more tabs.

Thanks!

I'd suggest finding another doctor if your relationship with him is so bad you don't want to follow his advice.

---------- Post added 21-04-2013 at 19:55 ----------

Etoroxib is the same class of drug as Vioxx which was withdrawn due to high rates of cardiac deaths, particularly in those with other cardiac risk factors.

The solution to your pain really lies in the underlying disorder.

If you manage to exhaust all the options your GP suggests you may benefit from a pain clinic referral.

I'd suggest finding another doctor if your relationship with him is so bad you don't want to follow his advice.

---------- Post added 21-04-2013 at 19:55 ----------

Etoroxib is the same class of drug as Vioxx which was withdrawn due to high rates of cardiac deaths, particularly in those with other cardiac risk factors.

The solution to your pain really lies in the underlying disorder.

If you manage to exhaust all the options your GP suggests you may benefit from a pain clinic referral.

I've done the pain clinic thing and it just proved to be useless.