What about Kelham Island area?

Claret,

I always felt pretty safe walking to and from town. No problems whatsoever in the daytime, although some friends of friends reported hassle late in the evening - mainly from hookers who were high on drugs and not thinking straight. Nothing major though - I'm talking about two people in two years.

My take on it was that any part of town carries some risk of drunken idiots causing problems and there's less of that in Kelham Island, because there are fewer pubs etc. Also, the busy ring road made me feel safer. The perception is probably the main thing, although I'm not aware of any facts either way.

I hope this helps,

Claret,

I always felt pretty safe walking to and from town. No problems whatsoever in the daytime, although some friends of friends reported hassle late in the evening - mainly from hookers who were high on drugs and not thinking straight. Nothing major though - I'm talking about two people in two years.

My take on it was that any part of town carries some risk of drunken idiots causing problems and there's less of that in Kelham Island, because there are fewer pubs etc. Also, the busy ring road made me feel safer. The perception is probably the main thing, although I'm not aware of any facts either way.

I hope this helps,

Being a former Crookes resident I'm not too familiar with all the roads from a pedestrian perspective round there. How would you walk back from West St, say, to Cornish Place?

I know there's the tram, but £1.40 a pop for a single is a bit steep ;)

• 2 months later...
  • 5 months later...

I was interested in the Kelham Riverside Apts, most likely to be renting at the moment, but am new to sheff so wondered if any advice could come my way regarding what type of area it is please?

We want to steer clear of any studenty areas and the other crime areas.

Thanks for any replies!

Kelham Riverside is slap bang right next to a large UNITE Student building (I'd hazard a guess of 300 student rooms). One of the apartment blocks actually share the same courtyard. So that may put you off!

I've seen lots of 1 beds to let in there, and at reasonable prices. Kelham Island itself is a nice quiet area, but right next to the centre. I live on Green Lane, and we have The Milestone next to us, the Fat Cat pub and the Kelham Island Tavern. All superb places. It really is a good upcoming area.

I believe only a third of the flats in Kelham Riverside have sold too. Parking could be an issue...

I'd suggest looking at other buildings in the area too. Brewery Wharf, Brooklyn Works and Cornish Place to start with.

Last time I checked about one - two months ago, they were still trying to go balls deep and asking for £140-160k. Prices have cooled off in the less desirable flats. But a lot of sellers have just taken them off the market and let them instead.

Archived