Remember having your tonsils out in the 50s

Sore throat and it was a tonsils out job, in late 40's & 50's My Father refused and I missed out on the ice cream. He must have been right because Iv'e still got my tonsils and it's rarely done these days. Same applied to the School dentist, it was nearly always a tooth out job.

As a child, I suffered a lot with tonsillitis and my name was placed on the waiting list to have them removed. When my turn eventually came round I was 14 (1953) and I was called to The Childrens' Hospital on West Street.

I recall having to walk into the theatre in my vest and trousers and climb onto the operating table because, as the nurse put it, I was too big to be lifted. A gauze thing like a strainer was placed over my nose and ether dripped on it and I heard a boynging in my ears. The next thing I remember was waking up on a matress on the floor with a nurse banging me on the back saying "don't swallow it" and making me cough-up blood into a kidney dish. I was surrounded by a number of whimpering children (all younger than me), in a similar condition. I was sent home by ambulance later that day. At no time did I receive any ice cream and felt quite miffed about it!

That was the only operation I had until 2009, when I had a triple bypass. I was much better looked after for that one.

Mike

my younger sister had to have hers out the docter told my mum I might as well have mine out I think I was about 10 my sister was2yrs younger we went to the royal infirmary we came round after the opp lying on a wooden floor wuth a lot of other kids we had to walk home we lived near hillfoot bridge a.b.c streets.next day my sister was as fit as a fart I was as sick as a dog for a week happy days 1940s

• 2 months later...
Hi You certainly rang some bells on that one I remember it,the mattresses were red rubber,I guess to stop the blood going on the floor I think there was a lot of that, don't remember the ice cream

Likewise I remember laying on the floor on a red rubber mattress, then being sick with lots of blood. I was 5.(1950). I cannot remember the icecream there but I was home that afternoon and mum had to go buy icecream while my great gran made me have Toast. It must have worked because I cannot remember a sore throat after that. I had both T and A out.