Have You Ever Visited Gibraltar

:cool: Have ever visited Gibraltar?????????????:cool:

Yes loads of times. Have a pint in every bar on the main drag, then try and remember where your ship is. Always a good one that :D

ditto that Artisan. Many good runs down the main drag. Captains Table, Trocadero, Tartan bar. Last there in 1973 onboard the Hardy. Our ships company ran up the rock backwards with the booty's for charity. Many memories. Not a bad place for the tourists as well.

Visited many times with the Royal Navy 1979-2005. I was based there for a year (1981-1982), best year of my single life :thumbsup:

Personally I preferred it when the border (with Spain) was closed, we had the run of our own little island so to speak. Known in virtually every bar especially the Horseshoe, Angry Friar (Mad Bish), Charlie's Hole in the Wall (watch your back - and his dog), and many other bars I could fill this post with. Not forgetting Lottie's beer keller or Irish Town either.

Since the border opened in the mid 80's the place has obviously prospered and changed quite dramatically due to the massively increased tourism. Main Street looks more or less as it was but many of the shops and bars I remember have totally changed.

Memories come flooding back and I could go on for much longer ......

but I won't 8)

Been there twice .

Once in 58 ,Port of call. Once in 60 same reason

If you approach Gib from the Spanish mainland, take a good map and keep your eyes peeled.

From what I remember, the Spanish (peevishly) don't put Gibraltar on their signposts. Unless they call it something else altogether.

Lived and went to school there from '60 to '63. Many fond memories as the Rock was our playground and if you didn't fall in the water there was no way you could get lost.

Try a walk through the rock to Catlan Bay, very spooky. Visit St. Michaels cave, an awe inspiring sight.

I was posted there between 88 & 90 and don't remember half names as well as some of you guys who where there years before me.I was always playing football and not in the pub.Those all weather pitches ironic really as you could play football on them if it had rained or was raining

It seems as if you who lived there dindnt like it as much as us who used it as a bunkering/waterhole :hihi:

The football pitch at HMS Rooke was a killer, red gravel and very unforgiving to the knees and elbows. Rooke has now gone sadly but I had many happy hours in the Senior Rates mess on afternoon sesh's. I was also tempted to climb the sheerlegs in Gib Dockyard but on sobering up and looking at the height of them, I'm glad I didn't.